Contribute
Register

Security Update 2018-001 for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah yes..you need to download the compiled release from the releases page: https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
Then use the kext that is inside the zip.

Had the repeated "Kernel Panic" Problem after updating my setup at Sierra 10.12.6 with "Safari 11.0.3" update and rebooting.

Did the following:
1) Pressed Spacebar on my Sierra Boot Volume while in Clover Boot menu after rebooting.
2) Selected "Verbose -v" and "Single User -s" modes and Chose to "Boot MacOsx without injecting Kext"
3) Landed on desktop(couldn't believe 0.0). Waited for Wifi to Connect(fingers crossed). Nvidia Prompted for new Webdriver installation(at this point my Graphics was still mentioned 5MB under "About this Mac").
3) Installed Latest Webdrivers. (378.05.05.25f06)
4) Downloaded Kextbeast from Tonymacx86 and latest Lilu.kext from above quoted Link to the desktop(Thanks a lot to michelb76 for the post!!). Ran Kextbeast and installed lilu.kext to "/Library/Extensions" only. Left the other path as it is.
5) Open Clover Configuration and upgraded Clover Bootloader to Latest v4392.
6) Now go ahead with Restart!!
7) Baaaaammm!! No Panicing anymore!! Back to the Future!

Hope this helps someone and thanks to all the other posts!

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:46 PM#67

https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases
https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nvidiagraphicsfixup/

Open Clover, mount EFI partition, open EFI go to your kext folder. Replace your old kexts with the newer kexts.
Hope this helps
--------------------------------------

Yinlong or others,

For reference, my Hackintosh configuration is on my profile. My system definition is 14.2. I have a fully functional 10.12.6.

I don’t see any of the three kexts in the above quote from Yinlong in my Clover Configurator. Am I not seeing these kexts because they are not needed with my configuration or am I missing something?

I have never head of Lilu until reading the posts in this thread, I don’t want to wreck my functional 10.12.6 by installing the Security Upgrade 2018-001 the wrong way. How do I proceed if I want to upgrade the right way?

Specifically, does my configuration need/not need Lilu?

Thank you very much--Jim

Last edited:
Had the repeated "Kernel Panic" Problem after updating my setup at Sierra 10.12.6 with "Safari 11.0.3" update and rebooting.

Did the following:
1) Pressed Spacebar on my Sierra Boot Volume while in Clover Boot menu after rebooting.
2) Selected "Verbose -v" and "Single User -s" modes and Chose to "Boot MacOsx without injecting Kext"
3) Landed on desktop(couldn't believe 0.0). Waited for Wifi to Connect(fingers crossed). Nvidia Prompted for new Webdriver installation(at this point my Graphics was still mentioned 5MB under "About this Mac").
3) Installed Latest Webdrivers. (378.05.05.25f06)
4) Downloaded Kextbeast from Tonymacx86 and latest Lilu.kext from above quoted Link to the desktop(Thanks a lot to michelb76 for the post!!). Ran Kextbeast and installed lilu.kext to "/Library/Extensions" only. Left the other path as it is.
5) Open Clover Configuration and upgraded Clover Bootloader to Latest v4392.
6) Now go ahead with Restart!!
7) Baaaaammm!! No Panicing anymore!! Back to the Future!

Hope this helps someone and thanks to all the other posts!

No luck... Can't get past step 2, my mac still won't restart. It loads like this (attached image) and stays there. Still can't reach the desktop. Thanks though, was excited for a short time.

IMG_1026.JPG

Success!!
Got it working.

After installing the new security update, 2018-001, my computer began to kernel panic during start up (while loading in the apple screen).
After reading posts all day and trouble shooting I finally figured it out:

1. Booted into Safe Mode (hit the space bar while in the clover boot menu before it counts down to load. Chose "safe mode" then choose scroll back to the top and choose "Boot macOS with selected options"). It took a while to load so be patient.
2. Installed the new Nividia drivers, 378.05.05.25f06. You are then prompted to restart when it is done.
3. Restart in safe mode again.
4. I then downloaded the https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases that Yinlong posted up above (thanks so much)
5. Downloaded Kextbeast from the Tonymac86 download page and installed the lilu.kext update using Kextbeast as suggested by Eisenhornet up above (also thank you). I installed it to"/Library/Extensions" only, as Eisenhornet also mentioned.
6. Restarted and WIZARD!! It worked!!
7. As a bonus I then used Kextbeast to install https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases kext and it fixed my onboard audio, which I was never able get working. Wasn't too much of an issue because I use MOTU 828es Thunderbolt audio interface for audio. But its a nice option to have, now I don't need to leave my sound card on all the time.

I have not installed the https://sourceforge.net/projects/nvidiagraphicsfixup/ kext as of yet since my Hack seems to be working fine. If i notice anything odd I'll install it using Kextbeast.

As well, when I mounted the EFI and went to my kext folder there was nothing in it, there are a number of folders (10.6 to 10.12 and one called "other") but all are empty.

Hope this helps anyone else having similar issues.

Panic is in AppleHDA. Remove any patches/files/etc related to audio patching (eg. remove AppleALC.kext or any patched AppleHDA components). Also remove any patches you may have for AppleHDA components in config.plist.

Thanks, that's got me back in the game. My question would be how do I now get sound back without the ALC kext given I had already got the latest version which, from what I had read, should have been good enough - other than seeing what looks like a code namespace identifying what you have stated is the issue I know nothing about this area.
Thanks again.

Thanks, that's got me back in the game. My question would be how do I now get sound back without the ALC kext given I had already got the latest version which, from what I had read, should have been good enough - other than seeing what looks like a code namespace identifying what you have stated is the issue I know nothing about this area.
Thanks again.

Make sure you install AppleALC.kext + Lilu.kext properly (I recommend in /L/E). Use LiluFriend.kext as per LiluFriend.kext documentation if necessary.

I am running a Skylake setup with 10.12.6 on a GA-Z170X-UD5 board, system definition 14,2. I want to do the 2018-001 Security Update.

Do I need to install the AppleALC, Lilu, and nvidiagraphicsfixup kexts before updating? My sustem has none of these now and all features are working. I can’t tell from multiple readings of this entire thread if these kexts only pertain to Kaby Lake systems?

Thank you--Jim

Last edited:
Make sure you install AppleALC.kext + Lilu.kext properly (I recommend in /L/E). Use LiluFriend.kext as per LiluFriend.kext documentation if necessary.

Just for reference (and education) can you explain what the go with that is? Previously I had the ALC and Lilu kexts in the EFI .../Other folder and everything worked fine - I downloaded the EFI bundle from an online posting of someone who had the Z270MX Gaming 5 working smoothly. None of these existed in the /Library/Extensions folder and the last time I tried putting stuff there it didn't end well (networking would not work) hence I stuck to what had previously worked. As I had updated the Lilu kext to the latest version along with others related (from the Lilu site) I found it strange that only that one (ALC) had issues.

Is there a definitive guide as to what should live where (EFI vs /L/E)?
Is I move the Lilu kext to /L/E do all the related ones need to move too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back