Contribute
Register

Security Update 2018-001 for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness, Drivers are out! Go get them! Machine is back in business!

Removed alc and can boot (but no sound), but still no graphics. Boots, progress bar hits about 70%, and that's it. Can remote in with screen sharing. Anyone else have integrated HD530 working on this update?

Thanks for help! It was older version of Lilu.kext that made panic ;)

Yeah, it would be really good if the mods maybe put a news item on the front page for this as it feels more like "10.12.7" than just a security update. It looks like no matter what graphics option you've got, something bad will happen.

I sorted my issues out I think. Rule 1 for me now should probably be to "update all your kexts" (kind of a pain tracking them all down, but OK) before an update of the OS, no matter how minor. The ALC kext was causing a panic which persisted with a Lilu update. After removing the ALC kext, no panic, but also no graphics (protip: screen sharing seems to work just fine with totally busted graphics - ping/ssh/screenshare before assuming the box is locked up). After that, finding a new IntelGraphicsFixup kext was needed. And then finally realizing that Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup kexts both need to be in /Library/Extensions (not clover's kext dirs). Still haven't tried a new ALC kext, but I assume that will bring my audio back.

edit: and now I have sound again. Also the ALC kext isn't listed in tonymac's directory, this is the github repo for it: https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases

It's been known around the community for a while now that if you ever do a security update you will have to also update the nvidia graphics driver build accordingly. Changing just the build number will eventually lead to instability and kernel panics. This is "hackintosh" 101. It's better to just wait for nvidia to drop a new build which is usually within 48 hours of the security update. As far as any "unsupported" graphics driver, you're pretty much on your own when it comes to updates. They were never designed to work and can expect problems in the future when updating. It's always best to build according to supported chipsets.

It's been known around the community for a while now that if you ever do a security update you will have to also update the nvidia graphics driver build accordingly. Changing just the build number will eventually lead to instability and kernel panics. This is "hackintosh" 101. It's better to just wait for nvidia to drop a new build which is usually within 48 hours of the security update. As far as any "unsupported" graphics driver, you're pretty much on your own when it comes to updates. They were never designed to work and can expect problems in the future when updating. It's always best to build according to supported chipsets.

Oh, I don't run nvidia, just the stock/onboard Intel HD530.

There were three show-stoppers, ACL, Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup. "Supported" in the hackintosh world seems like a pretty slippery word though, but I'm pretty sure I found this board based on some list here. Just thought it was weird - in however many years it's been (4 or 5 hackintoshes I can count) I've never been burned by a security update. Point updates, yes.

Yeah, it would be really good if the mods maybe put a news item on the front page for this as it feels more like "10.12.7" than just a security update. It looks like no matter what graphics option you've got, something bad will happen.

I sorted my issues out I think. Rule 1 for me now should probably be to "update all your kexts" (kind of a pain tracking them all down, but OK) before an update of the OS, no matter how minor. The ALC kext was causing a panic which persisted with a Lilu update. After removing the ALC kext, no panic, but also no graphics (protip: screen sharing seems to work just fine with totally busted graphics - ping/ssh/screenshare before assuming the box is locked up). After that, finding a new IntelGraphicsFixup kext was needed. And then finally realizing that Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup kexts both need to be in /Library/Extensions (not clover's kext dirs). Still haven't tried a new ALC kext, but I assume that will bring my audio back.

edit: and now I have sound again. Also the ALC kext isn't listed in tonymac's directory, this is the github repo for it: https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases

Hi, I have the same issue. After replacing with the latest kext, it boots successfully, but the sound is gone(ALC887)
It seems like the audio layout id changes again. :(
I have to try the different layout ids one by one ...

Hi guys, if you get 'shutdown' becomes 'reboot', just update your Clover and make sure 'FixShutdown' checked in config.

The final issue for me is ALC887, I've tested all the layout id(1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 18, 33, 99) with no luck :(

Finally, the ALC887 works with the original layout id: 2 :)
I forgot to place the Lilu.kext to 10.12 folder ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back