Contribute
Register

Security Update 2015-006 and NVidia alternate graphics driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem 5: You accidentally updated OS X and now your unsupported Nvidia card won't work because the drivers won't load.

Fix: modify the NVDAStartup.kext to force the older drivers to load.

1. Open up terminal and enter the following command:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

2. Enter your password and scroll down to where it says NVDARequiredOS
  3. Change the build number below that to your current build number
  4. Rebuild kernel cache suing the two commands from Problem #4
  5. Reboot

Tried this remedy but still no dice. Guess I'll have to wait for the update unfortunately

Modifying the build number worked for me, but unfortunately I seem to now get random hard lock ups. Computer locked up once today - after about 10 hours of use.

Nvidia have updated their drivers and all is well again.
That was a fun adventure, not.

Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

Also, I've learned my lesson to never install any security updates before checking this board.

So I have two dumb questions:

1) What is the easiest way to temporarily turn off the GPU (other than physically yanking it out)?

What works for me is to enter the following into the Clover boot options: "npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1"

This allows me to get a system to boot that isn't otherwise booting with working Nvidia drivers until I can get working drivers.

2) What is the best way next time to check that Nvidia has the drivers for an OS update so I don't make this stupid mistake again?

I always check this forum. It can take a day or so before anything comes up so never install a new security update right away. Best practice is to give it time for others to report unless you like to tinker with non-working systems. ;)

Nvidia have updated their drivers and all is well again.
That was a fun adventure, not.

Hey!
So, I recently broke my computer because of this update and I spent 3 weeks trying to revive it. Just succeeded a few hours ago. And though I now have a backup, I really don't wan't to risk it again.

So... could you [or anyone, really] please guide me through this update?
Like..what do I have to install, in what order, using which bootargs, etc?????

Please, please, pretty please?

Thanks a bunch :headbang:

EDIT: I have a Dell p2715q connected to my gtx 970's display port (dunno if it matters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back