Contribute
Register

Security Update 2015-003 Breaks NVIDIA Web Driver Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Security Update 2013-003 Breaks NVIDIA Web Driver Again

Thanks... so I can stop banging my head against the wall trying to change what the preferences says. With the driver and 750 installed I'm able to boot to the desktop but only getting 1024x768 as a resolution option. The 'About This Mac' screen is still showing my integrated chip - Intel HD Graphics 4600 (null)

Thanks for the help.

thanks! worked perfectly for me!

pro-tip: do this before the system even reboots to install the update and you won't have to boot into safe mode at all.

Interestingly, with the past two drivers I am able to boot normally with the drivers disabled. The only thing is that there is no graphics acceleration and the GTX 970 is not recognized properly but it does output video so I am able to make the changes and reboot. When I built the system (December) I had to remove the 970 and use onboard video to install the drivers before the 970 would output anything.

No working for me. When I put in those final two commands I get a lot of "can't read info dictionary and can't open CFBundle. Here's an example:

Can't read info dictionary for NVDAStartup.kext: IOCFUnserialize: syntax error near line 53.
Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_usb_connect.kext.
IOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport.kext has no Info.plist file.
2015-03-20 20:34:01.021 kextcache[2329:16919] There was an error parsing the Info.plist for the bundle at URL Contents/Info.plist -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext/
The data couldn’t be read because it isn’t in the correct format.
<CFBasicHash 0x7fb8cb003bb0 [0x7fff77a1ccf0]>{type = immutable dict, count = 2,
entries =>
0 : <CFString 0x7fff779e7580 [0x7fff77a1ccf0]>{contents = "NSDebugDescription"} = <CFString 0x7fb8cb726490 [0x7fff77a1ccf0]>{contents = "Encountered unexpected character 4 on line 53 while looking for open tag"}
1 : <CFString 0x7fff779f45e0 [0x7fff77a1ccf0]>{contents = "kCFPropertyListOldStyleParsingError"} = Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "The data couldn’t be read because it isn’t in the correct format." (Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex) UserInfo=0x7fb8cb726420 {NSDebugDescription=Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex}
}
Can't read info dictionary for NVDAStartup.kext: IOCFUnserialize: syntax error near line 53.
Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_usb_connect.kext.

Interestingly, with the past two drivers I am able to boot normally with the drivers disabled. The only thing is that there is no graphics acceleration and the GTX 970 is not recognized properly but it does output video so I am able to make the changes and reboot. When I built the system (December) I had to remove the 970 and use onboard video to install the drivers before the 970 would output anything.

Same for me actually; but modifying the file before the reboot side-steps the extra boot nonetheless. :headbang:

Just attempted the update and again the driver is broken.

FIX
Using Terminal enter the following:
sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Then change the line
<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>14C1510</string>
to
<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>14C1514</string>

Press Control+O then enter to save the changes and then press Control+X to exit

Then enter the following two commands. Hit enter after each one
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Reboot.

This allowed the Nvidia Web Control Panel to load and allowed me to select the Web drivers in the pref panel (via Remote Access, since my displays are black), however on reboot, the displays are still black. Checking the results from running "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel" shows "NVDAStartup.kext has invalid signature; omitting." It looks like this might be the cause... not loading due to invalid signature. Any help? I'm stuck. Old late 2008 Mac Pro with Nvidia GTX 660 (which was working great up until the last Apple Security Updates.) I tried both the 343.02.03.b04 and 343.02.02f03 drivers, followed the above fix and also tried repairing permissions, but no change. System Profiler lists the two monitors plugged into the Nvidia card as (null)(null) with no Kext Loaded.

***UPDATE*** Eureka! I tried loading the "b4" driver from
http://us.download.nvidia.com/ueIQ1cKffvn8R5wGRPgpshmH1Y7hvvFn/WebDriver-343.02.03b04.pkg

previously, but it wouldn’t install, stating the build number of OS X was incompatible. I used Pacifist and the afore mentioned fix, etc., but no joy.

Then I downloaded
http://us.download.nvidia.com/dZAS8cBUHaT1cUk4pr4NBgqTMH8PbHXC/WebDriver-343.02.02b04.pkg

Which installed without a hitch. I rebooted and all is well.

Yes, this would be a fix for the latest driver that was released after the last security update. The problem is that the drivers are designed to only run with specific OS X build numbers. All this does is change the build number that the driver is looking for.

Your signature mentions a GTX 960 so you must have the drivers installed to use that card.

True i am the lucky new owner of one of those cards. So new that i had not installed any driver yet.:D But now i installed os-x again and did not instal the update and installed older nvidia diver and all works for so far i can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back