Contribute
Register

Security update 2014-003 cannot be installed... Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mountain Lion 10.8.5
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 3.6gHz
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series 1024MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone! I need some help and was hoping the community can help me out on my issue.

For a while now, I have been trying to download some updates through the App Store on my Mountain Lion OSX version 10.8.5. There are 4 updates on my computer that needs to be downloaded but will not let me, primarily I believe because of Security Update 2014-003 1.0 won't install. Everytime I attempt the install, the process begins but at the end an error comes up saying that "Security update 2014-003 cannot be installed". I've been stuck with this and the Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2 for a while also.

What do I need to do to get these annoying messages out of the App Store? Thank you community!

I don't know if it's a general rule for all updates, but I have seen many on here where they say not to update from the App Store -- but instead to do a search for the update on Apple's website, then download and run the DMG file on your computer.

Hope that helps.

Those firmware updates are tricky. We Hackintoshes can confuse the app store. Just because we "say" we are a Mac3,1 doesn't mean we "are" a Mac3.1. Know what I mean? If you are sure that the update truly applies to your board then go ahead and update it. But if not, you can tell the app store to ignore that particular update.

edit: It appears that my app store will no longer allow me to "ignore update." It used to but no longer...hmmm.

I found out how to hide the update on Apple's forums.

"For the software update you would like to hide - make sure the full description of the update is shown - click "More..." if needed to show the full description

Right click on the update window. Select "Hide update"

This will hide the update and it will not show in the App Store Updates Window or counted on the dock icon.

To restore - select "Show all software updates.." which is now shown in the App store "Store" menu. Then "Reload Page" from the Store menu."

here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19048398#19048398

Ok. so now I know how to hide it. But... it's a security update, isn't it a good idea install it?? Does anyone know any other reason for this problem?

I'm on a Macbook pro 10.8.5 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7.

Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back