Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys,

My old core quad platform is becoming old and is starting to have some quirks. Therefore im buying a full new Ivy Bridge set to replace it. On my old build I ran OSX as second OS. Now I want to run it as a primary OS and keep Windows for gaming.

I want this rig to be a killer rig for around 600€ so I decided to get these components:

Intel Core i5 3570K
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile x2 for 16GB total
Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB (for OSX)
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB(for Windows)
Samsung Spinpoint F2 1TB (Both OS's Data Drive)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (Both OS's Data Drive)
Sapphire HD5770 Crossfire (temporarely from my old rig untill the ministry of finances OK's a new set).
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B
PowerMac G5 Case
Cooler Master Real Power Modular 850W
Samsung 205BW x3 for Eyefinity in Windows and large working space in OSX (Already had it working under Snow Leopard using Kexts found on this forum).

Am I right that in OSX programs can only be installed on the same partition as the OS? In windows you can for example make a program files folder on another harddrive. Since Im working with 2 OS's I need to get how I use my harddrives right.
Im planning on using mountain lion as OS.

Soon Ill upload a worklog about my G5 case.

Thanks for the input!

Ivy Bridge

Intel Core i5 3570K is an Ivy Bridge Processor

Good news. Lots has changed since your last build.

Your 5770's will work with no additional kexts using the latest Chimera.

In OSX, you have always been able to open Apps from other drives, so that isn't a problem.

Looks good all around.

Edited the naming of the CPU. Oh thats is good to hear :) Spend 2 days getting the screens to work in Snow Leopard haha.

Probably the best thing to do then is to split the Crucial M4 in 2 partitions, OSX and one Windows with basic programs on, and get the 1TB drives one for each OS's programs and games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back