Contribute
Register

Sebinouse's Build : CustoMacMini 2014 - Intel NUC Haswell i5-4250U - El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I also don't think the 'safe defaults' in BIOS are correct for this build. I tried them, got a freeze after Clover as soon as the Apple logo appeared whether booting from the HD or the USB installer.

I reset all the BIOS settings to the ones I had written down (including turning Turbo Boost back on) and then the system started booting correctly again.

Thats a bit weird, I am still confused as to why mine is working, I deleted the file to disable wifi but the wifi is still working but it boots now, the update worked ok, and everything seems to work, although I do get the ethernet sleep issue.

Thats a bit weird, I am still confused as to why mine is working

This stuff gets weird sometimes. :crazy: I should clarify that when I say I tried the safe defaults, I tried them along with the required settings from the guide (i.e. VT-D off) and they still didn't work. For me the safe defaults set a higher CPU multiplier but disabled Turbo for a lower overall top speed. I think the BIOS was showing 1.6 gHz or 1.9 gHz max.

I deleted the file to disable wifi but the wifi is still working but it boots now, the update worked ok, and everything seems to work, although I do get the ethernet sleep issue.

They might still be cached?

You can try to replace Intel1000e kext in /EFI/.../10.11/ with the one of post #56/59

You can also move the kext into a folder where it isn't autoloaded (I use /testing/drivers), load it manually afterboot (sudo kextutil) and then unload it and reload it (sudo kextunload then sudo kextutil) after wake to get Ethernet back. There's probably a way to script this but I haven't bothered yet.

So, I have two of these NUCs and it turns out they are from different manufacturing runs. Interestingly, only one will handshake with my AV receiver (Denon 3311ci) over HDMI. The NUC made in November of 2013 detects the receiver, but won't activate the display or pass audio although its HDMI works fine with a HP2159 monitor (display and audio). Even setting overrides in SwitchResX didn't help.

The NUC made in March 2014 works with the receiver. All BIOS settings identical. Same cables. Same SSD and RAM used in both. I even swapped the installed SSDs to make sure the problem was in the hardware and not the install.

So either the earlier NUC has some weird defect or there are some minor hardware differences between different manufacturing runs of the D54250WYK.

While I was troubleshooting I took one of the NUCs out of its case. The system runs way, way cooler naked. I'm considering drilling some small holes in the top panel over the fan intake (which faces the top panel) to allow more, colder air to move across CPU heat sink. I've also noticed that even in its case, the NUC runs cooler stood up on its side to expose the bottom vent. With improved airflow it might be possible to increase the power to run the cores and the graphics at full speed all the time without the fan going nuts.

Interesting ! We'll have to understand all that !

About ethernet after wake, there might be an DSDT edition to reload it.

If already set or not working properly, you can :
  • Install "SleepWatcher" and "SleepWatcher Startup Items"
  • Edit "rc.sleep" and "rc.wakeup" to match you wishes
  • Copy "rc.sleep" and "rc.wakeup" in /etc/
  • Open "Terminal":
    Code:
    chmod +X /etc/rc.sleep
    chmod +X /etc/rc.wakeup

This was a 10.6 trick, I hope it still work on 10.11.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    100.2 KB · Views: 81
All BIOS settings identical. Same cables. Same SSD and RAM used in both. I even swapped the installed SSDs to make sure the problem was in the hardware and not the install.

And same BIOS version ? (you don't mention it)
Latest is 41 (here)

And I still don't have any problem with new ethernet drivers ... even after many wake/sleep ...

I tried this one in EFI/.../10.11/
Excellent! Now, my little giant may sleep and wake into lan.
Meanwhile I've tested my LG 34UM95 monitor. It worked out of the box at 3440 x 1440 @ 50 Hz with Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888). I love this silver tandem: extremely small computer along with indeed large (wide) screen. I've managed to built a great system at relatively low price. Again, thanks for the help. :)

Thanks for the feedbacks !

I think I'll update the package with the new LAN kext and I'll update the first post with your screen resolution which is the maximum achieved for the time being ...

We will have to test dual screen and real UHD/4K as soon as someone has this kind of screens ;)

We will have to test dual screen and real UHD/4K as soon as someone has this kind of screens ;)
This is what I plan to do over the weekend. I have purchased a wide screen monitor to be able to work with multiple applications simultaneously on the same desktop. Now I can work with Word and Excel in parallel and have still enough place to open a web browser at the same time without overlapping. I intend to experiment now working with OS X and Windows on the same monitor although I am slowly dumping Windows and use it just for several legacy applications.

And same BIOS version ? (you don't mention it)
Latest is 41 (here)

And I still don't have any problem with new ethernet drivers ... even after many wake/sleep ...

Yes, same BIOS on both. Updated before the install. There are a lot of complaints about HDMI handshake on Denon receivers, including specifically about the NUC, but it's strange that one would work and the other not.

I haven't tried the Mausi Ethernet driver on the earlier NUC yet, I'm wondering if I'll get different results.

I'll do the rc hack on the later NUC for the time being. Maybe I'll try a re-install with the updated package.

What is the manufacturing date on your NUC, Sebinouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back