i7 8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
One of the last things to buy for my Hackintosh build is to get a large drive to store pictures and videos. I was thinking I would get a 2TB drive. I've been trying to follow the buying guide here as close as possible, trying to avoid as many issues as possible. So I notice the only large drives recommended are Seagate Barracuda, which get terrible reviews. I'm just wondering what else is compatible, and would be a good alternative.

Thanks in advance.

...So I notice the only large drives recommended are Seagate Barracuda, which get terrible reviews. I'm just wondering what else is compatible, and would be a good alternative...
Really?! I've been using the Barracuda line since Moses was a child w/o any failures. IMO, it is the the HDD to get followed by the Western Digital Black HDD series. Please post the links of the reviews you've read.

Is the the 2TB HDD your installation drive, too? If so, be aware that you need to install OS X on a driver or a partition that is no larger than 1TB.

Really?! I've been using the Barracuda line since Moses was a child w/o any failures. IMO, it is the the HDD to get followed by the Western Digital Black HDD series. Please post the links of the reviews you've read.

Is the the 2TB HDD your installation drive, too? If so, be aware that you need to install OS X on a driver or a partition that is no larger than 1TB.
I've read on Amazon and Newegg about them, seems like many people complain about them failing relatively fast.

Here is the link to Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834&

This won't be my installation drive, this is just storage for photos and videos. I will have an SSD for my installation drive. Thanks.

I've read on Amazon and Newegg about them, seems like many people complain about them failing relatively fast.

Here is the link to Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834&

This won't be my installation drive, this is just storage for photos and videos. I will have an SSD for my installation drive. Thanks.

I have the exact same ST2000DM001 model that you have just linked to. My WD HDD was manufactured in march 2013. It is quiet and (for a 7200RPM drive) also quick. I recommend these over a WD blue or green HDD as they are better built and much heavier in weight giving a better feel of a quality product.

The reviews on the Newegg page are both from 2012.

I have the exact same ST2000DM001 model that you have just linked to. My WD HDD was manufactured in march 2013. It is quiet and (for a 7200RPM drive) also quick. I recommend these over a WD blue or green HDD as they are better built and much heavier in weight giving a better feel of a quality product.

The reviews on the Newegg page are both from 2012.
I appreciate the response, glad to hear there are some good responses on the Seagate. There are tons of reviews on Newegg that are very recent, don't know where you were looking...

I appreciate the response, glad to hear there are some good responses on the Seagate. There are tons of reviews on Newegg that are very recent, don't know where you were looking...

I'll further endorse the exact drive you've linked (and in the same usage you're suggesting, too). As a secondary drive, one large 2TB HFS+ partition, I've had nothing but good experiences with it! Good luck!

Cheers
J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back