Graphics
MSI N750TI-2GD5/OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Well, I've done something extremely stupid today.... installed a minor update (my machine is 10.8.5, the update was some security, itunes, etc) via the App store, and now my 4730 won't start, just gives me a kernel panic. I just did it without thinking, as I had just done the same on my desktop with no problems. I've tried booting with all sorts of options -x, GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, all the usual stuff to no avail.

In case this matters, I have a 1080p screen installed, as mentioned in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/113211-wacky-4730s-1080p-upgrade.html#post689612

Anyway, is there some way to get it to load so I can run the Probook installer, or any other way to fix this? Also, as I've been planning to upgrade to Mavericks anyway, would that be easier? However, this machine is dual boot with Windows on the same SSD, and from what I understand, I can't upgrade without wiping my windows due to it being an MBR setup? In fact, after reading some threads, dual booting Mavericks/Windows still seems somewhat hazy at this point, wish there was a definitive guide like there used to be for Mountain Lion...

Well, I've done something extremely stupid today.... installed a minor update (my machine is 10.8.5, the update was some security, itunes, etc) via the App store, and now my 4730 won't start, just gives me a kernel panic. I just did it without thinking, as I had just done the same on my desktop with no problems. I've tried booting with all sorts of options -x, GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, all the usual stuff to no avail.

In case this matters, I have a 1080p screen installed, as mentioned in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/113211-wacky-4730s-1080p-upgrade.html#post689612

Without a photo of the KP no one can say. Post a quality photo of the entire screen.

Anyway, is there some way to get it to load so I can run the Probook installer, or any other way to fix this? Also, as I've been planning to upgrade to Mavericks anyway, would that be easier? However, this machine is dual boot with Windows on the same SSD, and from what I understand, I can't upgrade without wiping my windows due to it being an MBR setup? In fact, after reading some threads, dual booting Mavericks/Windows still seems somewhat hazy at this point, wish there was a definitive guide like there used to be for Mountain Lion...

Dual booting Mavericks/Windows is the same as dual boot with Lion/Windows or ML/Windows.

Without a photo of the KP no one can say. Post a quality photo of the entire screen.
IMG_0086.jpg

Dual booting Mavericks/Windows is the same as dual boot with Lion/Windows or ML/Windows.
Does that mean that I can still use the Hybrid MBR method? I tried upgrading, and Mavericks refused to install on my drive partitioned that way.

Well, I guess it was a blessing in disguise, as I now have a rawking Mavericks system. Installed flawlessly right on top of my ML install, all went straight by the guide without a glitch, repatched my dsdt, all seems well and dandy, AND I kept my windows partition.

Which all together still leaves me at a loss as to why exactly the same process wouldn't let me install on a virtually identical setup on my desktop? Just gave me an exclamation mark on my ML partition and "OSX can not install on this drive blah blah". :confused:

The guide covers this scenario (need to use "-f" in booting your install using the USB).

Does that mean that I can still use the Hybrid MBR method? I tried upgrading, and Mavericks refused to install on my drive partitioned that way.

You would need to convert back to GPT, do the upgrade, then convert back to MBR. The OS X installer can only install to a GPT partitioned drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back