Contribute
Register

Screen sometimes turns off and won't turn back on (Vega 64 on 10.14.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
My system is mostly stable except for this. It has only happened a few times, but I'd like to narrow it down. The most recent time I was just browsing in Chrome and the screen suddenly went to sleep mode.

Single monitor connected to Vega 64 over DP, running at 4K@60.

Sleeping and waking works normally.

When this happens, I can still connect over ssh, smb etc. but I cannot connect over Screen Sharing.

Any ideas?

My EFI is attached.

Attachments

• EssentialsList-2019-09-04 08.23.42.zip
    593.2 KB · Views: 49
It might be a cable issue...

I am connected using a DP 1.4 cable. Any idea how to test this? If I could trigger it, I could troubleshoot it...

When you said you were unable to Screen Share to the system, it made me think that there was no resolution to mirror to the client computer.

I don't know how to test other than with trial and error with other cables.

I have this issue with a Vega 56, the display will work perfect until it was time to wake the screen up. If I cycle through the inputs it will come back. So I switched to the HDMI output and it works better, it always come back but there is a reddish screen for a split second then it go black and then back with all of the colors.

I haven't gotten around to trying the DVI yet.

HDMI is worse... After the apple logo finishes, I have a few purple horizontal lines, and then it is black. I can ssh in to the box.

Think the new version of whatevergreen fixes various things re black screens and stops the purple lines but not sure if your builds use whatevergreen?

Think the new version of whatevergreen fixes various things re black screens and stops the purple lines but not sure if your builds use whatevergreen?
Thanks for the suggestion. Upgraded from WhateverGreen 1.3 to 1.3.1 and it does the same on HDMI.

Thanks for the suggestion. Upgraded from WhateverGreen 1.3 to 1.3.1 and it does the same on HDMI.
If you mean you still get purple lines - that seems strange, my understanding is that Whatevergreen prevents the memory check that causes the purple lines and cant see why that would be different for hdmi. Thanks for the info

Yes, it shows the purple lines and then goes black.

Does something need to be set in the config.plist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back