Contribute
Register

Screen sometimes turns off and won't turn back on (Vega 64 on 10.14.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd ask in a thread that deals with whatever green, my limited understanding is that it isn't loading if you get purple lines and there is often something to do in config.plist

My system is mostly stable except for this. It has only happened a few times, but I'd like to narrow it down. The most recent time I was just browsing in Chrome and the screen suddenly went to sleep mode.

Single monitor connected to Vega 64 over DP, running at 4K@60.

Sleeping and waking works normally.

When this happens, I can still connect over ssh, smb etc. but I cannot connect over Screen Sharing.

Any ideas?

My EFI is attached.

I had this problem with an MSI RX580. I replaced it with a Vega 64 and it fixed it. Check for overheating. make sure your card is getting plenty of fresh air. That same RX580 works fine in a cMP 2009. Whatevergreen would be my next guess.

This is all just troubleshooting since everything is fine with DisplayPort except for very occasional drops to black screen which I was hoping to diagnose.

The HDMI cable I am using is a known good HDMI 2.0 cable that I use on another mackintosh with an RX480. I have also tested running 3D games at 4K@60 under windows and it works.

Just for sanity, I tested another HDMI cable that doesn't do HDMI2 and it exhibits the same behaviour.

Case panel happens to be open at the moment and there is a fan on the base the pulls air up specifically for the GPU and it runs 3D games at 4K without a hiccup, so I think it is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back