Contribute
Register

Screen Lines issues, let's find out pt2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Arch Linux x86_64
CPU
I5 2410m
Graphics
Intel 3000 HD 6490m Amd
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Lately i've got two possible ideas to find the cause of the problem.

We know that...

- 8Gb of ram cause more glitches.
- GE=Yes makes freeze occur less often.

Now, the user liposuction, if i remember correctly, installed the Kexts for SL as well as the EFI String and got it work without problem/crash/lines.
So, if you can post here to explain what you did, it could be helpful somehow.

I've also noticed that the lines occur when the size of used ram reaches 3/3.5 GBs, which would explain why with 4GB is difficult to get them.
It can be a coincidence, so i developed a simple program in C++ that allocate the chosen amount of MBs in Ram to test out this with many users.

if you enter a value > of your free ram the SO will use the phisical memory to allocate the bytes, so be careful. (SWAP).
In any case, this program is completely safe: Once it is closed, all the memory allocated will be freed (as any c++ program).

Source included.

Attachments

• ram_debug.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 79
hey...I had many glitches with my 4350s (4GB RAM).

Few hours ago i went into BIOS (F20 version) and unchecked everything under Security tab (including Daystarter, Anti-Theft and everything you can find there)....after that i disabled everything in the System Contiguration tab --> Boot options (or something like that) and i changed the boot device order puting my hard-drive first in the list And ENABLE UEFI boot.

System Configuration tab --> built in devices --> UNCHECK Power Circuit monitor
System Configuration tab --> (the menu where you find things related to CPU/Switchable graphix) --> Disable everything (including Switchable graphics because anyway it's not supported right now) but leave enabled the 3 or 4 things related to the CPU (like Multi-core, Intel bla bla etc.)

For the past few hours i haven't had any glitches.So it seems to work. Anyway i will take some time (soon enough) and check exactly what option in BIOS is causing the problem.

And in about one month i'll get another stick of 4GB and test this with 8GB too. (Or maybe there is someone who is willing to test this and post some feedback.

Anyway, this worked for me (at least for the past hours).

System Configuration tab --> built in devices --> UNCHECK Power Circuit monitor

? Could that be it?

I'll check settings later.

i'll test more tomorow...anyway....all i know for know is that i had no more glitches after i've done this today.

I'll keep this post alive and i will provide more informations tomorow :)
I'll go to sleep now, good night. (if it's night in your country too :)) )

this is the second day with no graphic problems...(and before i did that i was getting many of them especially when i was using google chrome.

What BIOS version do you have?
I'm using the latest vestion (F20).

HP Probook 4530s
CPU: i5 2410m
4GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz

This is my configuration.

Myeah....i think you were right...few lines just appeared on my screen. (Anyway it's better then it was before)

So...I guess this is not the solution...
Anyway....i'll keep trying, if others have any ideeas please post them here and i'll test them...We must fix this problem because it's really annoying sometimes.

There's something that bothers me a lot...
Why on Snow Leopard lines don't show up?

It doesn't make sense... Intel3000 is not officially supported in Snow... But still it works better than in Lion.

i don't know...maybe a driver problem or something...let's hope 10.7.3 will save us.

Or maybe it's a kext that's causing the problems.

gerard71 said:
the 10.7.3 will be out soon we'll see if it's a driver issue

10.7.3 will not fix this issue. I'm 90% sure.

masso912 said:
There's something that bothers me a lot...
Why on Snow Leopard lines don't show up?

It doesn't make sense... Intel3000 is not officially supported in Snow... But still it works better than in Lion.

This is false. I installed Snow Leopard and got lines in more than just the browser. All over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back