MSI AMD Radeon RX 560 AERO
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,
this is my first post here, so cut me some slack ;-)

Has anyone ever had the following problem?

I was planning on replacing my system 2.5" sata SSD (250GB) with a 1TB 2.5" sata SSD yesterday. Both Samsung EVO disks.

Connected new SSD externally and initialized briefly, then installed in Hackintosh and booted up.

The disk was recognized and I backed up the old system SSD to the new disk with "SuperDuper", copied EFI over manually. Ran error free.

Reboot -> BIOS -> set boot sequence to the new SSD and then got the error message "NOT BOOTABLE DISK FOUND"....

So reboot again on the old system SSD. MacOS boots but doesn't show me the new SSD anymore. Not in the FDP and also not in the terminal with "diskutil list".

So I removed the new SSD again, connected it externally to my iMac and reformatted it again (Journaled, GUID) -> reinstalled it -> rebooted -> disk shows up again!

and now comes something I do not understand:

To test if everything works in the current state, rebooted again WITHOUT having "touched" the new SSD in any way. So no previous backup or other data copied to the new SSD.

System boots up: Bam, the new SSD is not shown again, neither in FDP nor in Terminal. The same game again: removed, reformatted, is displayed again, but after reboot unfortunately again the disk wasn't visible anymore...
It seems that macOS only recognizes the SSD on the first cold boot, but not after a reboot.
I have now formatted the new SSD again and installed Windows 10 for testing. That runs without problems, even after the reboot, the system is recognized immediately. So I assume that the hardware is not defective, but that there must be a problem with MacOS or with the OC configuration... but which one? Or can it have something to do with the plug order of the sata disks?

I am absolutely at a loss as to what this could be! Does anyone have an idea?

Edit: Cable harnesses (power and SATA III cables) are both new, bought yesterday.

My specs:
Gigabyte GA-Z370N-WIFI
Intel Core i5 8400 2.80GHz So.1151
MSI AMD Radeon RX 560 AERO
OpenCore
Big Sur 11.2.3

Thank you!

P. S.: I can upload my EFI later tonight when i am back home if needed.

Try formatting the new SSD as GUID + APFS.

As you are using Big Sur it will expect any drives connected to be APFS not HFS+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back