Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
There are many chipsets and manufacturers. Forum threads offer conflicting advice. I do not need RAID support. I simply want to up my internal port count with good throughput for any additional storage.

The card I'm leaning towards based on price, features and availability is the IOCrest SI-PEX40062. The chipset its built around is the Marvell 88SE9235.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AZ9T41M/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

Are there any obvious red flags with this card? It would be helpful if the Buyer's Guide made a couple suggestions for IO expansion cards.

Thanks for reading.

Motherboard
ASUS z87 PRO
CPU
i5 4670k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There are many chipsets and manufacturers. Forum threads offer conflicting advice. I do not need RAID support. I simply want to up my internal port count with good throughput for any additional storage.

The card I'm leaning towards based on price, features and availability is the IOCrest SI-PEX40062. The chipset its built around is the Marvell 88SE9235.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AZ9T41M/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

Are there any obvious red flags with this card? It would be helpful if the Buyer's Guide made a couple suggestions for IO expansion cards.

Thanks for reading.
Sorry for the disappointment of this not being any kind of useful reply - I'm looking to answer exactly the same question and like you have come across quite a bit of contradictory information - mostly on threads from a while ago where people were trying to add SATA III ports via PCIe on older motherboards running Yosemite and earlier, or looking for RAID options. Like you I just want to add more internal drives so would appreciate a recommendation that's current.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Sorry for the disappointment of this not being any kind of useful reply - I'm looking to answer exactly the same question and like you have come across quite a bit of contradictory information - mostly on threads from a while ago where people were trying to add SATA III ports via PCIe on older motherboards running Yosemite and earlier, or looking for RAID options. Like you I just want to add more internal drives so would appreciate a recommendation that's current.

After no reply to the thread for a few days, I went ahead and ordered the card I posted above. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro

I'm happy to report that this card is working fine out of the box. Plug and play. Currently I'm using 2 ports with this 5.25" hot-swap drive bay I bought based on the Buyer's Guide here.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00P2PNOOM/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

Sierra booted no problem and recognized the drive I plugged in. Hot-swapping works a charm. I haven't run any speed tests and I don't know how to even go about doing that.

My system specs are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
CPU: Core i5-4690K
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (16GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GT 740SC 2047MB
PCI-e SATA Controller Card: IOCrest SI-PEX40062

I hope this information proves helpful to you and anyone else who stumbles across this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.