Contribute
Register

SATA drive uninitialized and won’t erase/format in Disk Utility when installing Big Sur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77
CPU
Ivy Bridge
Graphics
R9 390
I’m trying to install Big Sur via OC 0.7.5 on the following:

CPU
Intel Core i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro4 (CPUSocket)

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics (ASRock)
8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (MSI)

Ethernet
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

HD
ADATA SP550 220GB SSD connected via SATA
Samsung HD502HJ 500GB HD connected via SATA

I get the installer to boot, but Disk Utility sees my SATA SSD drive as uninitialized and gives me this error if I try to erase the space on it and convert it to GUID: “Unable to write to the last block of the device (error: -69760)”

I also get a bunch of “I/O error” lines on boot that I believe are related to my SATA drives. Any idea how I can fix this?

Attachments

• Z77Pro4_v2.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
I’m trying to install Big Sur via OC 0.7.5 on the following:

CPU
Intel Core i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro4 (CPUSocket)

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics (ASRock)
8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (MSI)

Ethernet
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

HD
ADATA SP550 220GB SSD connected via SATA
Samsung HD502HJ 500GB HD connected via SATA

I get the installer to boot, but Disk Utility sees my SATA SSD drive as uninitialized and gives me this error if I try to erase the space on it and convert it to GUID: “Unable to write to the last block of the device (error: -69760)”

I also get a bunch of “I/O error” lines on boot that I believe are related to my SATA drives. Any idea how I can fix this?
sounds like your drive is knackared

This used to be a frequent problem some years ago but we don't see it very much these days :

Search

sounds like your drive is knackared
It appears OK in Windows. Partitions and resizes have gone off without a hitch in MiniPartitionTool, etc. But I’ll run some tests just to be sure.
This used to be a frequent problem some years ago but we don't see it very much these days :

Search
I’ve heard of people fixing this with something involving a “hot plug patch”? But I’m not certain how this was applied.

@CatalinaMan
I think “hot plug patch” has nothing to do with your problem.
MiniPartition Tool is able to handle the drive, repartitioning or changing from GUID to MBR and viceversa?
Do you can run First Aid in Disk Utility at install screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back