Contribute
Register

SATA Disk not recognized in installer unless setup externally, Installs fine, Boots fine external bu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After much trouble trying to get this setup, trying SL, and now mavericks, I finally tried hooking up the disk externally with a SATA/USB adapter and sure enough, the installer was able to see the drive. I installed Mavericks, was able to boot into it, and Run Multibeast, and rebooted with it externally and it worked fine. When I reconnect the HD internally, I get "Still waiting for root device".

I realize this must be a SATA controller issue. My BIOS does not have AHCI but does have RAID which supposedly enables AHCI and I have that enabled. I just don't understand how its able to see it externally but not internally.

At least i'm almost there! :D

Ok good news, I am able to boot into Mavericks with my drive hooked up internally by adding LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ and then booting with -v -f

However, I HAVE to boot using -f, otherwise I still get the "still waiting for root device" error.

But at least I know that adding the LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext does the trick, just have to figure out what needs to be configured and how so it boots up properly without needing the -f flag.

I thought using -f just clears the cache, but to me it looks like it loads every kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ which makes sense if by doing that its then seeing the added LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

THANK YOU! I had the same "still waiting for root device" problem with my Dell XPS 435 i7 Bloomfield. Now it will boot from the internal SATA drive as expected. The LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext did the trick.

Yay! I was actually of help to someone instead of needing all the help myself! Haha. :)

Do you know where you got that kext (legacy)? There are so many out there at the moment.

I'm trying to breathe new life into my dad's oldish-dell 545. Again, no AHCI. I can manage to get it to install using an external usb enclosure, but can't get it to boot from within like you said. Also kinda wondering what else you selected in Multibeast for options if there's no DSDT.

The other problem I have is that after I try the drive internally and it doesn't boot, I can't get it to boot again via USB enclosure even with UNIBEAST to try different kext or delete them. Strange, but during the bios startup I loose my keyboard and mouse if the USB enclosure is also on and connected. Basically I have to restart the whole installation process over to try it again. Unibeast to osx installation - insert usb enclosure - install to drive. Reboot with Unibeast selecting new osx drive. Install mulitbeast and that kext you had. Plug drive internally. Try to boot from drive internally. No go. Maybe I need to try to boot again off usb at least one more time before trying it internally.

I'm still stuck :(

I can get the Install completed via USB but swapping back to internal and the HD is not detected.

I also tried the LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext on both the Installer USB and in my new Mavericks Install but no go.
I believe I also have the same ALC888 issue you do.

Have you managed to progress?

I'd appreciate anyone that has an older DELL (eg studio 540s or similar) that can tell me a way around the No HD/boot issue.

One last issue, I bought an NVidia GTS 610 card for the box (which OSX recognises and installs drivers for no probs) but the 1080p resolution is overstretched with overscan enabled. If I untick overscan, then the display is about 5cm short of the full screen. In windows there is a NVidia utility to correct this (res sits at around 1030p) but not in MAC. Any ideas?

Cheers guys.

Hi, I am in the same boat :(

Any progress so far ?

Please HELP. I am new in all of these and i don t understand where i can find end edit that Legacy kext file. Be more specific because i have the same issue with my sata Drive. (I have RAID to). No AHCI settings posibilities. Its a EVGA SLI i680 motherboard a GTX 8800 Graphics Card...
My other Computer is a Mac Mini i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back