Contribute
Register

SATA 6Gb/s / SATA III - PCIe Card - Works in LION !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highpoint only appear to have a single SATA 6Gbps card http://www.hptmac.com/product.php?_inde ... pe=details
That said, you're likely to get better performance out of that than the ASMedia cards.
What I'd say is, get one ASMedia card, try it, see how it works and if it's good enough, go for it.
If not, then invest in the much more expensive Highpoint cards.
Review here in Windows for the Highpoint card http://www.storagereview.com/highpoint_ ... 0x8_review
According to that review though, the Highpoint card isn't bootable.

What's an S3 card?

harycoz said:
for run the AJA test you need to set the permissions for "everyone" of your SSD to "read and write"... it work for me...after the test don't forget to put it back to normal... :p
Thank you for the help but it didn't work for me. I set those permissions for the whole disk and applied it, but AJA test still didn't work.
Inrvuuvamp said:
Also, I read a post elsewhere that said if you have two disks on the PCIe card, it will slow down the speed.
Anyone know the answer to this yet?

Well, considering you "only" have 500MB/s of bandwidth per x1 PCI Express 2.0 slot, that's all the controller has access to. So of course if you hook up a pair of SSD's and use them simultaneously, you might run into bandwidth limitation problems, but this is true for all x1 PCI Express cards/controllers.

Alright, just popping back in to add some information here for others to use. Without reading through every single post this is what I know. I purchased several SY-PEX40039 cards and they all work awesome and are fully bootable in Mac OSX 10.6.8 and 10.7.4 machines. I have some comparables I tested on a machine running a crucial 128 m4 drive comparing the same drive on a same mac pro model (not exact same comp), others are running corsair force gt 240's. The first specs are SataII the second are the Syba card specs Sata III. Also attached is a screen of the system profiler showing the installed card. * side note: these cards are cheap! And they are made so, the first one I tried I thought they just didn't/weren't going to work, the problem was the bracket and card where not square so if I installed the bracket correctly into the back of the machine, the pci chip set was not connecting into the pci slot properly so some of these cards you have to adjust the pci board by loosing one or both of the screws that hold it to the bracket and square it up or turn it at an angle so it is being held into the pci slot properly.

Sata II results

Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.23.35 PM.png

Sata III results

Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.23.56 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.08.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.08.51 PM.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.23.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.23.35 PM.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 248
  • Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.23.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.23.56 PM.png
    123 KB · Views: 197
I can confirm that this card works with Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Having a crossfire setup on my motherboard actually disables the SATA III ports and the USB 3.0 ports. I am looking to upgrade to SSD, and I want them to be running in SATA III. So I got this card off eBay, installed it and that's it. Painless as can be. SSD here I come!

p_004.jpg

Did anyone ever update to the v0.951 firmware from the station-drivers website?

If so, is it just a case of using the files from the v0.95 along with the v0.951 bin file?

Is there a 4-port int PCIe SATA controller available now ?
Not many. The Highpoint Rocket 640L (SATA) and 644L (eSATA) are the obvious options. They're PCIe x4 cards.
640L: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115118
644L: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115122
The 644L is definitely marked as OS X compatible. I expect the 640L is too.

ASMedia don't have any other PCIe SATA chips yet: just the 2-port ones. It might be nice if someone could design a simple x4 card with four ASM1061 chips on it (maybe there's something I'm missing) as that would give us a lot more freedom to expand.

thelostswede pointed out that the ASM1061 chip is a single-lane PCIe v2 device and thus only has 500 MB/s to share between two 600 MB/s ports. In reality with two hard drives they would have trouble meeting 500 MB/s together, but SSDs can push it. It's worth noting that the additional Marvell SATA controllers used on some Gigabyte motherboards also squeeze two 6 Gbps SATA ports onto a single PCIe v2 lane.

I had to design the card/slot layout in lammergeier carefully as I currently have three ASM1061 cards in there. Latest price I've seen on eBay for new cards is AU$12 including shipping from China. If I needed to put one more in there two of them would have to share a single PCIe lane, so the Highpoint cards are on my radar. They're a bit more expensive than the ASMedia cards but what do you expect for a fancier product. :) The Highpoint site talks through the OS X compatibility.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-PCI-E...-s-eSata-ASM1061-/160583982904#ht_7946wt_1319

p_002.jpg

p_004.jpg

It's just sitting in the bottom most PCIe slot - the slot is much longer than the card but that's because the smaller slots on the X58A-UD3R are only PCI-Express 1.0 not PCI-Express 2.0 hence you don't get the full speed that you could.

As I said, the important thing is the CHIPSET not the specific card but by all means order the same card as me but it's unbranded and from a random seller so you can't guarantee getting the exact same card as me - but as long as it has a ASM1061 then you should be fine.

:headbang:

@gael - I think I read your message in the middle of the quote

Hello, I have bought this card but maverick not see it.
I have installed the kext enabler for this chipset, and the motherboard i have seen that enable the card only when there is cabled a disk on it.... but the same I can't see the card working.

Any advice?
I have ordered it from shenzen in china! 40 days to arrive!!!

Help!:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back