Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Vega 64
I've recently built a new machine using KPG's excellent iMac Pro instructions. Unfortunately, it's regularly freezing when I open apps that take advantage of the GPU such as Photos. The underlying OS is still there and usable (I can SSH in), and I can move the mouse, however the UI is completely unresponsive.

It starts with a message like this:

fault 13:32:42.203423 +1000 kernel virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2::waitForStamp(int32_t, stamp_t, stamp_t *): initial wait for 1 second expired. Continue wait for 4 seconds. stamp 21 (gpu_stamp=20)

After that the UI freezes, and the following is logged to the console over and over again:

May 18 13:33:19 Tonys-iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.

I've attached my EFI directory. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    30.6 MB · Views: 232
This exact thing happened to me. Enabling the iGPU fixed the problem for me.

This is an X299 Skylake-X build - there is no iGPU on this system, sadly.

I had similar experience - see my post here: #162

I assumed it was caused by a non-standard RX580 (not in the able "approved list") so I sold it and switched back to NVIDIA. Since then I have purchased a new Saphire Pulse RX580 - was playing on installing it in my Hack this weekend.

Have you tried using WhateverGreen.kext (it's not in the EFI.zip you attached)?

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX580, so I’m not sure you’re going to have a lot more luck. Do you use multiple screens?

I’ve also tried using WhateverGreen, and using SSDT injection to set the values I need, but it results in the same issues. Right now, I’m running without any of those extensions (WEG, VegaFixup or Lilu).

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX580, so I’m not sure you’re going to have a lot more luck. Do you use multiple screens?

I’ve also tried using WhateverGreen, and using SSDT injection to set the values I need, but it results in the same issues. Right now, I’m running without any of those extensions (WEG, VegaFixup or Lilu).
Single monitor, DP connection currently on my NVIDIA setup. Will swap out the GTX1070 and try the RX580 this weekend.

This post #2352 looks similar too. It mentions Photoshop and Adobe Creative Cloud - I also have those apps. You?

Single monitor, DP connection currently on my NVIDIA setup

If my theory is correct, the card will work perfectly for you. Whatevergreen disables AGDC, which means that 5K output stops working - I can re-enable it using an SSDT, but it still doesn't work properly.

It mentions Photoshop and Adobe Creative Cloud - I also have those apps. You?

I do, but they're not installed on this rig.

This is an X299 Skylake-X build - there is no iGPU on this system, sadly.

Issue should caused by IOGVACodec (AMDU6V3) incompatible with Apps.

Since you do not have IGPU to prevent above issue, may be you should try temporary workaround by using AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator instead of native AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator, part of AppleGVA features will be disabled (H264 encoder and AirPlay), see below link post #153.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-h264-does-not-support-hevc-hw.240353/page-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back