Contribute
Register

Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB GPU In my Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I bought this Saphire Radeon rx580 pulse 8gb GPU for my MAc Pro begin 2008. I have it connected with the two min pcie connectors. So powered the right way I think.
The problem is that only the fans are working but there is nothing on the screen. I connected it via DVI.

Right now I have El capitan 10.11.6 installed.

What could be the problem???

Hi Guys,

I bought this Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8gb GPU for my Mac Pro begin 2008. I have it connected with the two min PCIe connectors. So powered the right way I think.
The problem is that only the fans are working but there is nothing on the screen. I connected it via DVI.

Right now I have El Capitan 10.11.6 installed.

What could be the problem???

You have Lilu and Whatevergreen (latest) installed?

You have Lilu and Whatevergreen (latest) installed?
No! Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts are for Hackintoshes, not Mac Pro's.

I tested a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card in my Mac Pro 5,1. It gave me a black screen until it booted to the Desktop because the card's VBIOS was not patched with an EFI VBIOS patch. Unfortunately, there is no EFI patch for the RX 580. But, the good news is it works great with macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave once you get to the Desktop.

@PeterMac, you won't be able to get the RX 580 to work in a 2008 Mac Pro running El Captian because the Apple RX 580 drivers didn't appear until 10.13.6. Sell it and get a used EVGA GTX 680 and flash it to work in the Mac Pro 3,1. I've done this and have figured out how to run High Sierra on my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. You can too. See the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section for information > https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/

Last edited:
For a Radeon RX580 to work on a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 you need
  1. MacOs 10.13 High Sierra
  2. Dosdude's High Sierra patcher
The Metal drivers for RX580 and other AMD video cards require the SSE4.2 instruction set which is missing from the Harpertown Xeons on Mac Pro 3,1. You can stay on High Sierra or get a Nvidia Kepler card (GTX 680 / GTX 770) and install Mojave.

P.S. - The issue has already been discussed here: RX580 on a Mac Pro 3,1 - Mojave (SOLVED)

Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up with a GTX680, still have a new RX580 sitting in a box. Will keep an eye out for a newer cheese-grater , maybe after mac announces a new mac pro some newer versions will flood the market - 2010 etc.

Thanks. I ended up with a GTX680, still have a new RX580 sitting in a box. Will keep an eye out for a newer cheese-grater , maybe after mac announces a new mac pro some newer versions will flood the market - 2010 etc.

HI wallymcgoo, I have a same now Mac Pro 3.1 Now my setup is just Xeon 2.9 Ghz ATI HD 2600 32Ram... I am planning to upgrade the GPU to RX 580 or GTX 680 to have Mojave or Sierra, Can you suggest which will work best? Thanks

Did anyone else have issues lately with this Sapphire RX580 and Mac Pro 5,1/4,1 on Mojave? My Mac Pro suddenly doesn't want to show anything on the screen, but it seems like the machine is booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back