Contribute
Register

Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 on macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who can't run this card OTB, install windows, make dsdt and paste it instead clover generated DSDT (or keep both files, but change config)

Hi guys, I'm using Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB (OC Edition) on a 3x triple monitor setup on 10.13.4 final release.

My 3 monitors are:
1. Dell U2515H (2560x1440)
2. Dell U2311H (1920x1080)
2. Dell U2311H (1920x1080)

Works:
- 2x HDMI (2560x1440 + 1920x1080) + 1x DP (1920x1080).
Yes, outputting 2560x1440 over HDMI works.

Does not work:
- 2x HDMI (1920x1080 + 1920x1080) + 1x DP (2560x1440)
- 1x HDMI (1920x1080) + 2x DP (1920x1080 + 2560x1440)

Did not test:
-
1x HDMI (2560x1440) + 2x DP (1920x1080 + 1920x1080)
- 3x HDMI (any)

Findings:
It seems that as long as there is one DisplayPort running at resolutions higher than 1920x1080, then triple monitor would fail to work. macOS would show the display on that screen for a split-second (for awhile, all 3 monitors are showing just fine), and then it turns black.

Specific for Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB (OC Edition):
The first DisplayPort port right under the HDMI port does not work. The rest of the DisplayPort works individually.

PS: I have WhateverGreen & Lilu kexts installed but I believe it doesn't matter. I also tried Pike's Patch as suggested by @dashingncool but it did not make any difference.

I wish you had, I probably should have asked sooner before writing that long guide, lol. the drivers just aren't there for the Vega in Sierra Apple will have will use these cards with High Sierra on their new iMacs and possibly Mac Pros.
Im having the same issue on High sierra with the pixelated graphics, anyone here that can help me get to the bottom of this? It booted into the OS once, but after a reset got the pixelated screen again.

Hi guys, I'm using Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB (OC Edition) on a 3x triple monitor setup on 10.13.4 final release.

Yes, outputting 2560x1440 over HDMI works.

PS: I have WhateverGreen & Lilu kexts installed but I believe it doesn't matter. I also tried Pike's Patch as suggested by @dashingncool but it did not make any difference.

Im having the same issue on High sierra with the pixelated graphics, anyone here that can help me get to the bottom of this? It booted into the OS once, but after a reset got the pixelated screen again.

Move to Catalina or Mojave however, your card is a non reference port layout in fact it has extra ports that may not work properly or maybe shared. Also over HDMI but is it at 60hz? or is it running at 30hz?

The main issues though is your port layout not being injected correctly. If you search this forum a bit you might find someone with the same card that has already outlined how to make it work.

Move to Catalina or Mojave however, your card is a non reference port layout in fact it has extra ports that may not work properly or maybe shared. Also over HDMI but is it at 60hz? or is it running at 30hz?

The main issues though is your port layout not being injected correctly. If you search this forum a bit you might find someone with the same card that has already outlined how to make it work.
I’ve been looking for hours but have come up short. But I don’t understand how it was able to work the one single time and now i just get a green square when booting

I’ve been looking for hours but have come up short. But I don’t understand how it was able to work the one single time and now i just get a green square when booting
I really can't tell you why I can just tell you that those cards with extra ports and such are problematic.

You really should fill out your profile as per the rules for this site.

It only has the 3 DP ports and 1 HDMI port.

It only has the 3 DP ports and 1 HDMI port.

I think your problem is you should move to Mojave or Maybe Catalina. High Sierra has a very young Vega driver I had issues with a gigabyte card personally and returned it. You can try putting a Sapphire bios on the card, low risk if there is a dual bios switch.

I think your problem is you should move to Mojave or Maybe Catalina. High Sierra has a very young Vega driver I had issues with a gigabyte card personally and returned it. You can try putting a Sapphire bios on the card, low risk if there is a dual bios switch.
I might try that tonight, I'll also be picking up that vega 64 tonight. Let's see which card works best and I'll just sell the other. Is there a how-to on putting those bios on my card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back