Contribute
Register

Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 on macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, I thought you were running OS High Sierra on your MacBook. The Vega will not work beyond the default minimum Apple drivers in Sierra. If you have an Apple account with the Appstore you can sign up for the High Sierra Beta program, its free and it works great for the Vega cards. Use the link below to sign up and use your MacBook to download. It will want to load when its finished with the download but you can go to top tool bar and choose to quit installer. It will be in your launchpad and in Applications folder. If you connect your Hackintosh drive to the MacBook using USB to sata adapter you can open the install app and select that disk to load High Sierra. It will be like an update and leave your existing files and data in place.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

Clover Configurator. Download this too.

Before you load High Sierra I would connect your Hackintosh disk and mount the EFi for that disk.

1). Go to top tool bar and select "Finder" scroll to "Preferences" and click the box next to "Hard disk" it will now show all disks on your desktop which will make edits easier.

2). Open Clover Configurator and look to the left side options window and select mount EFI. You should see 2 options one the MacBook and the Hack disk choose the Hack disk and mount. Close Clover Configurator and you should see a new disk icon on desktop EFI. this is your clover EFI folder for the hack disk. Open it and drag the entire EFI folder inside to the desktop. After its finished copying to the desktop go back to the EFi folder and delete it or move to trash.

3). Open Clover config. app again and this time mount EFi select "current boot disk" this is your MacBook EFi folder. close clover and click on the EFi icon. Drag the EFi folder to the hack EFI icon/folder that is empty. You should now have 2 EFi icons on your desktop and both should have the MacBook EFi files in them. Open the folders and you should only see the Apple folder in both of them. By doing this you will be able to load the High Sierra software using your MacBook through several reboots as required. You should see the MacBook disk and EFi as grey disk icons and the hack disk as yellow external disk icons. If both the disks have the same name like Macintosh HD then change the name of the Hack disk to something like Macintosh HD2. This will help to avoid errors later.

4). Go to "System Preferences" tab ( the Grey gear and box) on bottom tool bar and select Start up disk. Choose the Hack disk you will have to use password to finish. Now you can close everything and then open the instal app, run it choosing the Hack disk for target drive. Be careful and check all the install windows, the 2nd or 3rd window I think has a pre checked option "APFS" uncheck that box so you don't load it in apfsfile mode. Remember to look for this when loading the software.

5). After its done loading and updating follow the first few steps above and change back to your clover EFi files for the Hack disk with High Sierra. Go back to Startup disk option and set to MacBook drive. Now your ready to put your disk in the Hackintosh and test.

Good Luck.

I actually have BOTH Sierra and High Sierra already installed. Each one is on a seperate partition. I'm sorry I should've explained this better.

2 days ago I had an nvidia card installed and both were working perfectly. High Sierra graphics were just a little choppy. I bought the AMD Radeon card and switched out the nvidia card I have. Sierra stopped giving me 4K resolution but would still boot with the 1600x1200 resolution and High Sierra just wouldn't boot and gave me the messed up graphics.

With the AMD card I can't access High Sierra in anyway without the graphic problem.

I wish you had, I probably should have asked sooner before writing that long guide, lol. the drivers just aren't there for the Vega in Sierra Apple will have will use these cards with High Sierra on their new iMacs and possibly Mac Pros.

I pretty much GAVE UP about 10 minutes and just put the nvidia back in. The Vega is being returned tomorrow and I'm going to pick up the RX580, on my way home from work, and just SwitchResX my hertz on the 2 4Ks I think.

Thank you for helping me with all this!

I have the exact same problem with RX Vega on 2 out of 3 display ports with High Sierra.

I have the exact same problem with RX Vega on 2 out of 3 display ports with High Sierra.

Look into the port layout threads for amd cards. Depending on which Framebuffer you use and the framebuffer compatibility with your card layout it makes a big difference. An apple Framebuffer often has to be adjusted to each hackintosh cards layout in order to get the desired ports to be active and prioritized correctly. Many of the Apple kexts will initialize or priortize DVI or HDMI first, this can use up the available outputs for DisplayPort. For example.

This is just a rough recall of the layout IDs and what you need to do to change.
These are not real code numbers you need to find these following the thread instructions.
A Framebuffer would contain a series of numbers like these.

000000000002200 = DVI port.
000000003003200 = HDMI.
000000030404400 = DisplayPort.
000000000004400 = DisplayPort.

So you would take these numbers and change them to

000000000003200 = HDMI.

These new numbers would be used in clover find and replace methods. These fixes are often made to AMD cards when apple framebuffers don't exactly match the store bought or consumer cards. I've never done this, Mork Vom Ork is one of the experts in this area and has some examples of how to do this. It should be possible to get all of your display outputs working in the order you want but since nobody has done it yet for Vega there is probably no easy pre worked solution to add to clover.

Look into the port layout threads for amd cards. Depending on which Framebuffer you use and the framebuffer compatibility with your card layout it makes a big difference. An apple Framebuffer often has to be adjusted to each hackintosh cards layout in order to get the desired ports to be active and prioritized correctly. Many of the Apple kexts will initialize or priortize DVI or HDMI first, this can use up the available outputs for DisplayPort. For example.

This is just a rough recall of the layout IDs and what you need to do to change.
These are not real code numbers you need to find these following the thread instructions.
A Framebuffer would contain a series of numbers like these.

000000000002200 = DVI port.
000000003003200 = HDMI.
000000030404400 = DisplayPort.

So you would take these numbers and change them to

000000000003200 = HDMI.

These new numbers would be used in clover find and replace methods. These fixes are often made to AMD cards when apple framebuffers don't exactly match the store bought or consumer cards. I've never done this, Mork Vom Ork is one of the experts in this area and has some examples of how to do this. It should be possible to get all of your display outputs working in the order you want but since nobody has done it yet for Vega there is probably no easy pre worked solution to add to clover.

This is exactly what I have been trying to do. However, the radeon bios decoder and redsock bios decoder both give a partial output with Vega's ROM!! I tried editing the code as well but I just can't get it to work. Here is a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 5.49.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 5.49.54 PM.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 490
This is exactly what I have been trying to do. However, the radeon bios decoder and redsock bios decoder both give a partial output with Vega's ROM!! I tried editing the code as well but I just can't get it to work. Here is a screenshot.

Have you tried framebuffers using clover? Baladi, Iriri, Kamarang, these all have DP ports as primary.

Have you tried framebuffers using clover? Baladi, Iriri, Kamarang, these all have DP ports as primary.

No Luck. I tried flashing the BIOS to Vega Frontier. But its incompatible. :(

Would you happen to know something about the bios decoder scripts?

No Luck. I tried flashing the BIOS to Vega Frontier. But its incompatible. :(

Would you happen to know something about the bios decoder scripts?

Orinoco? Framebuffer and clover graphics setting dual link 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back