Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, I'm building my new hackintosh with the following configuration:

Core i7-950
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
6GB DDR3 RAM Corsair

I'm still not sure about what video card to buy so what do you suggest between the Sapphire Radeon HD5770 vapor-x 1GB ddr5 and the Gigabyte Nvidia GTX460 1gb ddr5?
Which is the easiest one to install, and the most compatible? Plus I need the card to be as silent as possible.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the mistakes, english is not y first language ;)

Strife said:
Hi guys, I'm building my new hackintosh with the following configuration:

Core i7-950
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
6GB DDR3 RAM Corsair

I'm still not sure about what video card to buy so what do you suggest between the Sapphire Radeon HD5770 vapor-x 1GB ddr5 and the Gigabyte Nvidia GTX460 1gb ddr5?
Which is the easiest one to install, and the most compatible? Plus I need the card to be as silent as possible.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the mistakes, english is not y first language ;)
Hi Strife
As far as I know, Sapphire Radeon HD5770 vapor-x is comprised in the GPU list that are compatible within hackintosh builds. http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php?title=Graphics_Card_Database

IMO, easiest to install are any 5770 vs. the GTX 460. I have the same mobo and CPU and installed everything flawlessly with little issues.

Also, for a super quiet GPU, look into the Gigabyte 5770 Silent Cell (GV-R577SL-1GD). It doesn't use a fan. The only downside to the card is that it only has one DVI port. It also has HDMI, but there are some issues on getting both to work right now for dual displays, but I think someone on here has it working with some tweaking.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know when my hackintosh will be ready! :p

I used the Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X and the EVGA GTX470.

Both are reasonably easy to install for a single card. Neither was satisfactory for me as a double-card install (470 worked but multi-monitor rotation support was primitive).

My take on the 460, 470, 480 is that you should
(1) want it for general reasons (want the potential upside and not mind the power draw and heat)
(2) be ok with using early-stage drivers

All said, if I were going single card I would have kept the GTX470. But I don't think you'll go wrong either way (do look for specific compatibility reports on the 460 model you chose).

HTH,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back