Contribute
Register

Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
@thesamesons,

Vega GPU's are currently the most powerful Supported GPU's in MacOS ... Either Vega 56 or Vega 64 are a fine choice.

However not all Vega's are made equal especially when it comes to the VBIOS, best to stick with one that is based on the AMD reference design as some of the Gaming O/C variants can be problematic.

If in any doubt get a Sapphire one as they always follow the AMD Reference design.

If the Fans are a issue then use the VGTab utility see this guide for more info :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...vega-power-and-fan-control-properties.267519/

@Wolax,

I have Vega 64 running in my i7 4790K Video Editing system (HD 4600 IGPU configured as headless) main use of system is FCPX and it runs great on the Vega, BruceX Test comes it at around 18 seconds, previously I had Nvidia 980 Ti which gave a BruceX Test time of around 41 seconds.

I edit all my videos on the system and have never had any issues with FCPX.

I think the key to making FCPX run well on a Hack is to ensure that the IGPU is enabled and configured as headless as FCPX load balances across the IGPU and dGPU.

Cheers
Jay

Still learning the ropes in my research before my Hackintosh build attempt but this is very useful information -- Thanks!

I've got this GPU. OOB it works but the fan will eventually get really high and stay there. If I use VGTab the fan speeds are kept under control but it crashes regularly for no particular reason, even with virtually no load at all.

Unfortunately it seems to be a rather common issue with this GPU, with no actual fix that I can find. I'm on the fence between returning it or just giving up and buying a real Mac.

Out of curiosity, if you wen with a "real" Mac, which model/specs would you get?

Hello,
I am a hackintosh user since 2012, but i did not build it my self and it's quite hard to try to get up to speed.
Is you will see in the profile, my machine is quite old, but works. The CPU is 2600k and I recently upgraded the GPU with vega 56. When I run Bruce X the results are OK 16,2 seconds, but when I do real world tests by exporting various footage (H264, H265 with fonts and grading), if I don't let the machine make the renders prior to exports, the export time is about 7 x the length of the project. If FCP-X prerenders th time line it drops to 3,5X. When an XML export of this one minute project into Davinci Resolve 16 will only take 2 minutes to be exported. Am I clear ? I hope.

I don't fully understand:

I think the key to making FCPX run well on a Hack is to ensure that the IGPU is enabled and configured as headless as FCPX load balances across the IGPU and dGPU.

Ok, based on those informations, is there anything I should do to get better performance ?

Thanks for your help.

JM

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-06-30 à 12.38.59.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-06-30 à 12.38.59.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 58
is there anything I should do to get better performance ?

@jmvignau,

Your CPU is Sandy Bridge generation which was the first generation from Intel CPU's to support IQS as such it's video processing capabilities are limited to H264 (AVC) only as can be seen in the compatibility table here :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

FCPX will use the dGPU only for tile based rendering such as transitions and video effects, this is true for most video editing software and has been discussed many times in these and other forums.

The BruceX export test contains no source video footage, just transitions and effects therefore FCPX will use the dGPU for rendering it however as it is a 5K project it is somewhat CPU bound as well.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
So that means that if I want/need more speed I have to upgrade CPU. And this is something I can't do because there are no CPU with better video decoding support that would fit on my motherboard.

So that means that if I want/need more speed I have to upgrade CPU. And this is something I can't do because there are no CPU with better video decoding support that would fit on my motherboard.

You could probably get a Skylake dell for fairly cheap few hundred dollars:

You could also build a 9th gen I3 z390 system for a few hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back