Motherboard
Asus Proart z790
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 6950 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I just install the Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64 (11275-03-40G), the version with 2 power connector.
Everything is working but I got bad temp reading issue, it sitck @ 127°C no matter what I do : fan are always on.
I am on 10.13.6 last update with 18.3 smbios, I also tried the imacpro 1.1 smbios, no change.
I tried with or without lilu + whatevergree, no change there too.
It work well in windows.
So is there any custom driver/ssdt that can assign to the right sensor?

Last edited:
So, I give up.
I install mojave to see if thing would be better.
After first boot, fan stoped! But when I use the card fan goes loud, and never stop. And the temps was misreading again, always @ 127°
The olny way to stop them as I see over the internet, and in the post of silvercircle, is to play a video.....
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fan-problem-after-load-sapphire-radeon-vega-64-nitro.262933/
That's not a solution for me, it's a computer to work.
Back to RX 580 again, working good (but I got one that make noise when use, and goes hot)
Get away from Vega 64 nitro+ it's a not an OBB at all !!!!

So, I give up.
I install mojave to see if thing would be better.
After first boot, fan stoped! But when I use the card fan goes loud, and never stop. And the temps was misreading again, always @ 127°
The olny way to stop them as I see over the internet, and in the post of silvercircle, is to play a video.....
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fan-problem-after-load-sapphire-radeon-vega-64-nitro.262933/

That's not a solution for me, it's a computer to work.
Back to RX 580 again, working good (but I got one that make noise when use, and goes hot)
Get away from Vega 64 nitro+ it's a not an OBB at all !!!!

A couple of things that may solve it for you. There is a kext called VGATab that controls fan speeds, temp and power settings for Vega cards. It works well on reference cards and on some multi fan models. See @pastrychef's build guide it is located at the bottom for download.

Another fix may be the HWMonitor plugins. Slice has created a special set for the AMD cards including a FakeSMC.kext that works with the cards. Google them and make sure they are from Slice. A manual test of your actual heat would be to quickly touch the card backplate when it’s reading 127 degrees. If it were true it would burn your skin. If it’s only warm then it is more likely 27 degrees.

You may want to try these out before giving up on the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, but too late, I send it back before I couldn't.
And I know that it was not the real temp, but a bug. In windows the card was at 65 max. It's a good one but not for an easy hackintosh.
I prefer to stay with a sytsem with not too many tweaks, my rx 580 (msi armor) is good enough, except for the temp (like more tant 80°C) that are the real ones this time, and the noise coming with it. I will just take a good one later.

A couple of things that may solve it for you. There is a kext called VGATab that controls fan speeds, temp and power settings for Vega cards. It works well on reference cards and on some multi fan models. See @pastrychef's build guide it is located at the bottom for download.

Another fix may be the HWMonitor plugins. Slice has created a special set for the AMD cards including a FakeSMC.kext that works with the cards. Google them and make sure they are from Slice. A manual test of your actual heat would be to quickly touch the card backplate when it’s reading 127 degrees. If it were true it would burn your skin. If it’s only warm then it is more likely 27 degrees.

You may want to try these out before giving up on the card.

Want to make sure, What is the normal temperature of Vega 64 when idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back