Contribute
Register

Sapphire ATI 4850 1GB and Snow Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt add GraphicsEnabler=Yes or LegacyATI4800Controller,thats probably why it didnt worked.Or maybe its just my monitor.I will try that later.

You are also on 10.6.3?And are you in 64 bit mode?

I know that NVIDIA have better support,but when i was buying a new card ATI was cheaper and had better performance.Now i want to hang myself. :)

igorj said:
I didnt add GraphicsEnabler=Yes or LegacyATI4800Controller,thats probably why it didnt worked.Or maybe its just my monitor.I will try that later.

You are also on 10.6.3?And are you in 64 bit mode?

I know that NVIDIA have better support,but when i was buying a new card ATI was cheaper and had better performance.Now i want to hang myself. :)

Oh right- it only worked in 32bit mode for me- with that kext. I tried on 10.6.3- seemed to be the latest updated graphics drivers. Try typing:

arch-i386 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Man- I totally get you on that Sapphire 4850- wasted many hrs on it. Seems so great for Win- but not great for Mac. :thumbdown:

Also, there are some updated graphics kexts for ATI in the MacBook Pro update with the 10.3.1 kernel. That's my next try- when I want to waste some more time. Maybe you can try it? :D

igorj said:
I can try. :)
Just let me know what to do.

Attached are the relevant ATI kexts from the MacBookProSoftwareUpdate1.3. Install with Kext Helper b7 after you've updated to 10.6.3. Can't wait to see if it makes any difference! I think these may be the same as the default 10.6.3 ones, but you can't be sure til you try! ;) Good luck!

Attachments

• ATI-MBProUpdate.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 106
Did anyone try this:
(Note: Don't think these guys below were on 10.6.3, as we know from Netkas you generally also need to downgrade the 3 key kexts to 10.6.2 versions.
http://netkas.org/?p=382
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186249&st=0
Step 7 - Diagnostic Steps

1. Rebooted -x arch=i386
(Didn't know about -x Safe Mode would have saved me so much time!)

2. I downloaded Kexthelper and installed Evoenabler.kext and modified ATI4800Controller.kext
(I did this because I read in the digital_dreamer install thread that Evoenabler doesn't work in /Extra, as it's an x86_64 file and needs to be in /System, and as modifed ATI4800Controller.kext also showed as this type I reinstalled that.

3. Ran Update Boot Caches using digital_dreamer's script

4. reboot arch=i386

AND IT'S WORKING!!!!

noob question for y'all.

Why is ATI cards harder to install than Nvidia cards? The newest iMacs have them (which is what drove me to buy sapphire 4850 card) so I thought it would have been supported out of the box.

TJ

Just to let you guys know 10.6.3 didnt help either.I still get out of range,probably because of my monitor.I was planing to buy new one anyway,when i do i will let you guys know if that helped.

I didnt try those kexts from ATI-MBProUpdate. I got a feeling it wont work either. :)

@humph
I tried that before,it doesnt help also.

I have a 4850 1GB vga/dvi/hdmi and I had to use the hdmi port.
once i used a hdmi to dvi cable everything went ok.

not working for me
Boot from hdd: (image removed- kernel panic)

Boot from cd: (image removed- ATI black and white streaks)

Boot from cd in safe mode: OK

:mrgreen: MOD EDIT: removed images- due to screen stretching. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back