Contribute
Register

Sangheili- HP Elite 8300 SFF + GTX 1050Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had Windows on this machine before I put macOS on and I had no problems gaming. I didn't do too much of it, but it handled GTA V at 3440x1440 with high settings no problem.

What is the biggest size GPU, that can be fitted inside? It should be LP, I guess, but is it single slot? What about a mini (like Zotac) GPU?

What is the biggest size GPU, that can be fitted inside? It should be LP, I guess, but is it single slot? What about a mini (like Zotac) GPU?
Yes it has to be LP. AFAIK this MSI GTX 1050Ti is the most powerful one you could put in there. The problem is that you can't use any supplemental power because the case is low and the power supply couldn't handle it. This one is a dual slot. I have the other PCIe slot taken up by a wifi card.

The HP 6300 Pro MT is in a mATX size case and has a stock 320 W PSU from HP. The install of macOS is exactly the same as on the 8300. These can be found at all the same places that the 8300 is. Newegg, Amazon, Ebay. Best of all you can use a full height graphics card. Not limited to a low profile 1050 Ti and the airflow through the case is much better. If you intend to do a lot of gaming this is better than the SFF versions of the Elite 8300.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=6300_Pro_MT-_-9SIA6YC43M1905-_-Product

A9V2_1_20160517426390424.jpg

The HP 6300 Pro MT is in a mATX size case and has a stock 320 W PSU from HP. The install of macOS is exactly the same as on the 8300. These can be found at all the same places that the 8300 is. Newegg, Amazon, Ebay. Best of all you can use a full height graphics card. Not limited to a low profile 1050 Ti and the airflow through the case is much better.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=6300_Pro_MT-_-9SIA6YC43M1905-_-Product

View attachment 251596
Yeah I think my school had some of those too. Will definitely go back and check for those and maybe get a 1070 or something for it.

Yeah I think my school had some of those too. Will definitely go back and check for those and maybe get a 1070 or something for it.
I would probably only go as high as a 1060 with the 320W PSU. You can get some sata power adapters if you need 6 pin supplemental power. Some have completely replaced the OEM PSU with a more powerful one.

Yes it has to be LP. AFAIK this MSI GTX 1050Ti is the most powerful one you could put in there. The problem is that you can't use any supplemental power because the case is low and the power supply couldn't handle it. This one is a dual slot. I have the other PCIe slot taken up by a wifi card.

My only concern was the physical size, LP or if some Mini editions would fit. But now I have a good answer :)

The HP 6300 Pro MT is in a mATX size case and has a stock 320 W PSU from HP. The install of macOS is exactly the same as on the 8300. These can be found at all the same places that the 8300 is. Newegg, Amazon, Ebay. Best of all you can use a full height graphics card. Not limited to a low profile 1050 Ti and the airflow through the case is much better. If you intend to do a lot of gaming this is better than the SFF versions of the Elite 8300.

View attachment 251596

Thanks, I am already subscribed to those HP CMT threads :D The only question was the GPU size. I don't have much space for the case, so SFF with a mini, sub 75W TDP GPU and occasional gaming with BF3, Mass Effect or Assetto Corsa.

Yeah I would definitely replace the PSU at that point.

You need a special cable for that, but I can send you the eBay link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your thread is one of the ones that has inspired me to pickup an HP 8300 for my first hackintosh however was a bit worried about your docker experience, as I use docker a fair bit.
Also for some reason, Docker refuses to install no matter what I do.
I'm still setting my machine up but docker works fine for me so far. I installed it using brew cask install docker which worked great. I've run a couple of containers and both work as expected.

I made sure to set my BIOS up with disabling VT-d but ensuring VT-x was enabled still. We have a different CPU (I'm on i7-3770) but both support both VT-d and VT-x. Hope that helps.

My next step is to
6. Install VoodooHDA to get audio working
Which has seemed to work. Reading the forums I thought this was going to be really difficult, but given your explanation I just downloaded VoodooHDA from the webpage, and front and back audio seem to work now - although I needed to drop the Input Gain down to nothin in the VoodooHDA prefpane :). Still some work to get audio over Displayport working, as that is just static. But thanks for making me try again!

(edit with audio success)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.41.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.41.48 PM.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.48.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.48.24 PM.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Your thread is one of the ones that has inspired me to pickup an HP 8300 for my first hackintosh however was a bit worried about your docker experience, as I use docker a fair bit.

I'm still setting my machine up but docker works fine for me so far. I installed it using brew cask install docker which worked great. I've run a couple of containers and both work as expected.

I made sure to set my BIOS up with disabling VT-d but ensuring VT-x was enabled still. We have a different CPU (I'm on i7-3770) but both support both VT-d and VT-x. Hope that helps.

My next step is to

Which has seemed to work. Reading the forums I thought this was going to be really difficult, but given your explanation I just downloaded VoodooHDA from the webpage, and front and back audio seem to work now - although I needed to drop the Input Gain down to nothin in the VoodooHDA prefpane :). Still some work to get audio over Displayport working, as that is just static. But thanks for making me try again!

(edit with audio success)
Yeah it turns out I had virtualization turned off in the BIOS. Turned it back on and Docker/Parallels works fine now.

And I'm glad the post helped you!

I did some scores here with Unigine (on medium setting and max resolution for my monitor [sigh]) - it is quite OK for a SFF, but, with a way stronger PSU, I think it could add 7+ frames per second.
BENCH.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back