HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all.

First time builder. Taking the plunge and building a Sandy Bridge based system!

I saw that you guys have already installed SL (congrats!) but I haven't found any reference to hardware specifics tested. So, here's what I'm thinking for configuration (availability complying):

i7-2600k (or i5-2500k)
ASUS P8P67 PRO (what's the dif between the PRO, EVO, and other P67 models)?
EVGA GeForce GTX460
Corsair 650TX (650W PSU)
Crucial RAM (1600, 8-8-8-24, 2x2GB)

Has anything like this been tried yet?

Thanks in advance.
-Josh

Not sure about the graphics card, don't have any personal experience with 400 series cards, but the rest works as far as I'm concerned. The Asus boards work, but just be aware that the patched Kernels appear to be a bit buggy, so it's not a smooth ride. Also, I didn't have much luck with the Intel LAN on the board I tested.

I'd suggest you go compare the difference between the boards at Asus' website, as I'm sure it's one or the other feature that differs.

I was going the Asus route because it got a decent review and had the UEFI (which seems just a bit nicer to deal with). Is Gigabyte the wiser choice here in terms of compatibility?

Not really, no, although as I wrote in the other thread, I just remembered that I ran into a problem using two 4GB DIMMs in the board I have, but it's not the same board, so I don't know if it'll be an issue or not on their normal boards, as this is not one of their consumer boards.

I too just purchased similar kit as you, Josh. Same CPU, motherboard, and graphics card. I will be following this thread and would be pleased to compare notes with you after hacking around with it a bit.

out of curiosity, were you planning on using an aftermarket CPU cooler, or the stock one that comes with the CPU? If aftermarket, then which?

Hey cpgeek. I think a lot of people bought/are buying a similar setup (since the Asus motherboards have generally well reviewed) so I'm hoping that the power of numbers works in our favor. This will be a first build for me so it's definitely going to be an adventure. Here are the specifics ( :geek: ):

i7-2600k
ASUS P8P67 PRO (went with PRO because it can support SLI later)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (CL7)
CORSAIR 650TX 650W
EVGA GTX460 (768MB version - was well reviewed as good bang for $)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus (to answer your question about the cooler - it's a mid-range air cooler but it was well reviewed on Tom's hardware)
Antec 300 Black Case

At this point I would be a bit nervous about building an SB system to run OS X. There are going to be teething issues even for Windoze users. Official Apple support for SB looks to be in April at best, but that could change. I see posts about glitches in the patched kernel. Presently, Gigabyte mobo's have the best support around here, but there is no telling how that issue will shake out with SB.

That leaves a tough set of choices because an X58 system will cost as much and not be as fast. I might have to hold onto my i5-750 box for a while.

You're probably right but we'll see... it's not my primary (work) system so if I have to wait for a while it's not a huge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back