Contribute
Register

SanDisk SSD: no such device. Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z97M Killer
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics
GeForce GTX 670 4095 MB
Mac
  1. Mac mini
My system drive which is a "SanDisk Solid State" model started to disappear all of a sudden.
It boots fine, the system seems stable. I can browse the web, watch utube... But after a while things start to get unresponsive.

I found out that I can speed up the freezing by writing large files, i.e.
dd if=/dev/zero of=test.img bs=1m count=1000
The first time this always works. But after removing test.img and doing it again, the system starts to stall...

dmesg showed me this:
Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing...
disk0s2: no such device.
i.e. the drive simply disappeared.

So of course I started to think that the drive has reached his EOL. But SMART status looks fine, no error whatsoever. Also the self tests didn't fail.

Code:
SMART Attributes Data Structure      revision number: 1
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 3373
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 1659
165 Total_Write/Erase_Count 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 74414
171 Program_Fail_Count 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
172 Erase_Fail_Count 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
173 Avg_Write/Erase_Count 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 18
174 Unexpect_Power_Loss_Ct 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 126
187 Reported_Uncorrect 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 062 038 000 Old_age Always - 38 (Min/Max 7/73)
230 Perc_Write/Erase_Count 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 60
232 Perc_Avail_Resrvd_Space 0x0003 100 100 005 Pre-fail Always - 0
234 Perc_Write/Erase_Ct_BC 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 50
241 Total_LBAs_Written 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2926185884
242 Total_LBAs_Read 0x0002 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 5238541391

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 3370 -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%          3369         -

What can this be? I also put the drive on another running hackintosh and did a filesystem repair. No errors reported.
But while doing the dd test it also disappeared on this system with the same error messages.

Is my drive ready for the dumpster? And SMART is in total denial?

My system is
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97M Killer with i7-4790K
GeForce GTX 670
OS X 10.9.5 (<-- I need this old version to run it as a DAW)

I have an update: I put the disk in a docking station and connected it through eSATA. Like that the error disappeared. I did a file system repair and a access rights repair... I also did a disk benchmark with good results...

But as soon as it's connected as internal drive, the issues are there again.

What is going on? Has this something to do with the SATA speed which is reduced on eSATA? But the troubles only starts after writing. Reading always works fine when the system starts.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I have an update: I put the disk in a docking station and connected it through eSATA. Like that the error disappeared. I did a file system repair and a access rights repair... I also did a disk benchmark with good results...

But as soon as it's connected as internal drive, the issues are there again.

What is going on? Has this something to do with the SATA speed which is reduced on eSATA? But the troubles only starts after writing. Reading always works fine when the system starts.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I use a lot of Sandisk Plus SSDs and have never had an issue. It has MLC NAND memory. Do you have the newer TLC or 3D Nand model? Sandisk Ultra?

Have you tried replacing the Sata cable and/or try different Sata ports on the Motherboard?

I use a lot of Sandisk Plus SSDs and have never had an issue. It has MLC NAND memory. Do you have the newer TLC or 3D Nand model? Sandisk Ultra?

Have you tried replacing the Sata cable and/or try different Sata ports on the Motherboard?
Thanks for your reply. It's quite an old model, it's just called "Solid State Drive. The model number is SDSSDP128G.

I tried different ports, but actually I'm not sure if I swapped the cable before the problems started. So I'll try this again.

I have a Z97 chipset so I'm not using any special SATA driver. It's just a "Generic AHCI Controller". Could this be an issue? But I couldn't find any kext for this chipset....

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply. It's quite an old model, it's just called "Solid State Drive. The model number is SDSSDP128G.

I tried different ports, but actually I'm not sure if I swapped the cable before the problems started. So I'll try this again.

I have a Z97 chipset so I'm not using any special SATA driver. It's just a "Generic AHCI Controller". Could this be an issue? But I couldn't find any kext for this chipset....

Cheers.
I have a z97 and H97 and no kexts needed either.
Is the data on the drive important?

You may want to try erasing and doing a fresh install. Sometimes drives get corrupted.

I have a z97 and H97 and no kexts needed either.
Good to know! Thanks.

Is the data on the drive important?

You may want to try erasing and doing a fresh install. Sometimes drives get corrupted.
It's the system drive with a lot of software. The good thing is that I still can read from it.

After swapping cable it couldn't even boot anymore. Then again I put it in the docking station and it works flawlessly.

I wonder if this is a mechanical problem. Maybe the plug on the drive is faulty and the docking station makes better contacts...
Or it has degraded in a way that it can't handle 6GB/s anymore. But SMART doesn't show any issues.

Somehow it's treated the right way when OS X detects it as external...

Probably the whole thing is not even hackintosh related.

You wont believe it :banghead:
It was the f.. power cable. That's why it always worked fine in the docking station. And swapping SATA cable didn't help.

My theory is that it had enough power for reading. But writing obviously needs more power and then the voltage went too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back