Contribute
Register

Samsung RC512-S02 Mac OS X Installation / Snow / Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
cydzikm said:
Branhower said:
I spent my time dwelling on this one; and the only thing I could think of to ask is, did you install with KextBeast and ran Kext Utility (not installing anything, just running it to fix permissions and rebuild the kextcache) as a follow-up?

Yeah, I've done several fresh installs and never been able to get any mouse functionality using the trackpad.

My latest installation was: Multibeast for Easybeast.
Then I moved the Extras folder contents from your pack to my Extras folder, and installed all of your kexts using KextBeast (all kexts on desktop, then run kextbeast). Then I ran Kext Utility and rebooted. The audio works fine, so I know that at least that kext was installed, but I've got nothing with this trackpad.

I don't think that would make any difference. Are you using a custom DSDT? I know I haven't tried using one - not sure if that would make a difference.

Nah, no need for this particular issue.

Any time I got dependency issues, I boot with the arch=i386 (32 bit) boot flag. A small detail I just now remembered about these kexts is that they are 32 bit. I only had to do this once, then I could boot without flags afterward. If you can't do that, stick the boot flag in the "kernel flags" portion of the org.Chameleon.boot.plist file.

Has anyone gone any further with this thread? Did anyone get a working DSDT?

I'm baaack!

So let me get you up to speed on where I am now.

Once again; I got Mountain Lion working (currently DSDT-less for now) on an old USB hard drive; and I would have used the same strategy as an earlier post in this thread, if I had my old Mac. Essentially what I did was create a self-booting USB installer with my legitimate copy of Mountain Lion... within Windows. That was fun. Anyway; I got it to boot, everything but sound and ethernet worked. I installed VoodooHDA (for now, looking for an AppleHDA solution later) and Lnx2Mac's Ethernet kexts and gained excellent functionality through that. A quirk I found, accelerated graphics worked with the installer, but not in the OS itself. The simple addition of GraphicsEnabler=Yes to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist fixed that.

I also bought Windows 8; going to try to do a dual-boot on this machine. I'll do the same as I did with Windows 7; create two partitions in Disk Utility from the USB hard drive, install Windows 8, clone Mountain Lion, and manually install Chameleon. It should work, provided Windows 8 isn't insistent on creating that System Partition. That really screws a lot of things up.

Update

So now I'm cloned over to the internal hard drive and will begin where I left off, DSDT tinkering; and maybe find an applehda replacement. Here's an updated guide on dealing with the internal drive on this machine, it's formatted using 4k sectors.

Update 2

Alright guys; I spent about all afternoon on Speedstepping and DSDT tinkering, most of which was me causing my own problems! OldNapalm's DSDT Editor was awesome, I found it easier to use than DSDT-SE (not just because of the pre-written patches that ship with the download). Along with that, I used a Perl script that patched the AICPM kext for native power management. Update 02/22/13: I have discovered the source of the kernel panics; they were actually inside ioplatformpluginfamily.kext (which, if I read to the bottom of the screen when it panicked, I would have found out). Thanks 2MNY. I have also extracted an SSDT using RevoGirl's SSDT generation script. One thing to note, I generated my DSDT and SSDT on the most recent UEFI (this makes a difference). So, you can either use the before-mentioned tools to make your own, or update your UEFI (if you're in Windows, it's super-easy; just download the EXE listing from the downloads>firmware link here) then put everything where it needs to be. I've attached everything needed in a zip; and I'll update my zip pack when I have everything set. I'm getting seven p-states.

Yet the Last Update 02-22-2013 Stock sound is working with this kext set. Sounds great!

Another Update - 02-22-2013: Windows 8 users require an additional bit of tinkering on the Windows side before being able to access it. Step 1, while you're in Windows, is to diasble Fast-boot for proper shut-downs. The other step is to fix some issues that arise when OS X becomes the primary partition. The only difference here is; instead of running the commands from a Windows XP install, I ran them from my Windows 8 recovery disk. Everything still worked. I think this is only applicable if you're using a MBR-partitioned hard drive. With GPT, you should be able to install Chameleon to the EFI partition and properly hand off to either Windows or Mountain Lion. I'm not reformatting to find out though.

Attachments

• Power Management.zip
    380 KB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back