CPU
i5-2430 2.40GHz/HM67
Graphics
Radeon HD 6630M / Intel HD 3000
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an iMac which I boot externally with Samsung EVO 970 and I also have the same problem. It takes more than 2 minutes to boot. I guess it is related to macOS Monterey doing some TRIM related job during the boot. I remember similar issues before. I wish there was a way to disable that trim check at the boot.

I have an 2017 iMac so it’s not related to kext our outdated drivers. Samsung Evo nvme drives have this issue.

I have an 2017 iMac so it’s not related to kext our outdated drivers. Samsung Evo nvme drives have this issue.
Ok - Notice those were just given examples, so in boot-arg place -v so that you can get a snapshot of exactly where the machine hesitates for that period of time then you will be able to ascertain the sort of correction to overcome the long boot delay. If you look at the attachment in my post you'll notice I also have a Samsung NvME drive and I can assure I have zero problems with it.

You have 970 plus I have 970. It hangs like in below picture. 5C26E9B3-6EF2-4C33-BCE2-D55B6236283A.jpeg

Just incase I missed it, what boot loader are you using OC or Clover?

As a matter of fact when the 970 Plus was introduced, it proved far more problematic than the 970 to the point people were warned against buying them which made Samsung offered a firmware fix for the problem.
So in essence the 970 was the go to drive.

I would advise to remove all non essential kexts from the config.plist by disabling them leaving just Lilu, WhateverGreen and VirtualSMC.kext, reboot, clean NVRAM at least twice and see if the boot time improves.
It should now be obvious that you're doing a process of elimination to track down the cause.

Last edited:
I am using iMac. No boot loader, no extra kext, no modification. I don’t understand why are you still asking to use different kext etc. It’s original iMac 2017 which is booted from thunderbolt nvme drive. I just showed the verbose boot to convince you that indeed I have this issue. Just because you don’t have this issue with different drive, it doesn’t mean everyone shouldn’t have this issue. Google nvme Monterey and you’ll see another post on different forum.

I am using iMac. No boot loader, no extra kext, no modification. I don’t understand why are you still asking to use different kext etc. It’s original iMac 2017 which is booted from thunderbolt nvme drive. I just showed the verbose boot to convince you that indeed I have this issue. Just because you don’t have this issue with different drive, it doesn’t mean everyone shouldn’t have this issue. Google nvme Monterey and you’ll see another post on different forum.
I have moved your posts to iMac section

Ok so if I understand your posts, you're machine is a genuine Mac machine, in that case over and out. Good luck with solving the problem, no sarcasm intended I genuinely hope you do.

Yes, my machine is an iMac. Starting from my first post, I said over and over again that it IS iMac. Thanks for understanding me and for your best wishes.

I have an iMac which I boot externally with Samsung EVO 970 and I also have the same problem. It takes more than 2 minutes to boot. I guess it is related to macOS Monterey doing some TRIM related job during the boot. I remember similar issues before. I wish there was a way to disable that trim check at the boot.
Tosbaha,

I think your issue with the system may be that the system boot files are incomplete or corrupted. I say this because recent versions of macOS from Big Sur to Monterey are now more difficult to duplicate across drives as before because Apple has increasing secured parts of the drive off from userspace use. Bombich Software creators of Carbon Copy Cloner has acknowledged this.

To get back into the drive see if you can either place the Samsung SSD into a USB enclosure and try to repair it from another Mac/hackintosh using Disk Utility, or try to boot into the system with a macOS Installer USB boot key.

Also you may need to update your Carbon Copy Cloner/Superduper drive cloning apps and try again to get the drives to be accessible again (if they are clone of your first iMac boot drive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back