Skylake 530 + GTX 970M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have a Samsung Model NP880Z5E-X01UB, and have tried installing Mavericks onto it using Unibeast.

The initial install works fine, and boots from the USB drive just fine for install. However, after the system install completes, and the OS reboots, the only drive I see from the boot loader is the USB drive. The hard drive never shows up.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to fix this?

I have a Samsung Model NP880Z5E-X01UB, and have tried installing Mavericks onto it using Unibeast.

The initial install works fine, and boots from the USB drive just fine for install. However, after the system install completes, and the OS reboots, the only drive I see from the boot loader is the USB drive. The hard drive never shows up.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to fix this?

If you have any kind of "fast boot" option in BIOS, turn it off.

All "fast boot" options are off, as well as "secure boot". UEFI/CSM boot options are also set. It's really making me scratch my head, as the BIOS is a rather simplistic one.

Ugh, that's not an option. It would be nice to boot into Linux on a USB stick and somehow finish the installation there, but I've no idea how to accomplish that. It's as if the BIOS has specifically put some code into place that prevents the drive from enumeration at boot unless it has a non-GPT partition table.
That's not a problem. You have to boot from your USB until the intsaller, and where you found Disk Utility there is a Terminal also.

I installed Mavericks successfully with Unibeast onto a Samsung 840 Pro SSD with Windows 8 installed on it. The problem is that I created a partition for OSX on it, and the disk has MBR format, but the OSX formatted partition is GUID. Did somebedy try with formatting MBR?

I made every step from this method except the last one:

4. Flag the destination partition (disk0s2) as “Active”
pietra@unix$ sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0
fdisk$ f 2
fdisk$ write
fdisk$ y
fdisk$ exit

So, it seems the only problem is when we try to get OSX partition active it's impossible, because of the GUID partition table. When you are trying to make it active ('f 2' - or your partition number (for example mine is rdisk0s5, so it is 'f 5')) Terminal says 'it's not MBR activated' or something like that (or invalid partition).

If somebody get it's working, please post here! I'm working on it also... :beachball:
(I also tried to make the partition table of OSX to MBR under Windows 8 and under command line with diskpart.exe without success.)

So, it seems the only problem is when we try to get OSX partition active it's impossible, because of the GUID partition table. When you are trying to make it active ('f 2' - or your partition number (for example mine is rdisk0s5, so it is 'f 5')) Terminal says 'it's not MBR activated' or something like that (or invalid partition).

You can only have 3 "real" (primary) partitions in MBR in a hybrid GPT/MBR scheme. First one is EFI protective partition (protects GPT partition table). So 2-4 would be the rest. The number '5' is not possible.

You can only have 3 "real" (primary) partitions in MBR in a hybrid GPT/MBR scheme. First one is EFI protective partition (protects GPT partition table). So 2-4 would be the rest. The number '5' is not possible.
That's interesting, because it had more than 5 partition (not primary). Samsung has 4 recovery partition, so EFI + 4 recovery + Win 8 + OSX = 8 partition.
What can I do in this case? Should I delete recovery partitions?

That's interesting, because it had more than 5 partition (not primary). Samsung has 4 recovery partition, so EFI + 4 recovery + Win 8 + OSX = 8 partition.
What can I do in this case? Should I delete recovery partitions?

It depends on what you're trying to do. With MBR scheme you can have more than 4 partitions but you start to get into extended/logical partitions not primary. It is messy and not recognized by Chimera/Chameleon.

Refer to my blog (link in signature) if you're trying to some kind of multiboot.

In general, installing OS X requires re-installation of Windows.

...interesting update: I can boot my previously USB-cloned Mavericks (from a MacBook Pro) from USB3, but only in safe mode. After a little bit of playing with MultiBeats, almost everything worked....

I'm trying to delete those recovery partitions from my OEM preinstalled WIN8, and clone this USB3. I hope it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back