Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 NVMe SSD is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
and sorry for ask the same how about you? the temperature between this 2 drives how diferents their are?

I see about the same temps roughly 51C at idle recently I added some heatsinks and now they are around 42c at idle. On the VM drive when working I see about 55C and on the host drive "MacOs" I see about 50C.

Will the Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 work as a boot drive on my configuratioin:
CustoMac Pro: Core i7 6700K - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH - AMD RX 580
I am currently using a 256 GB M.2 drive but it's almost full so I need to upgrade.

Hi guys,

I have a brand new Hackintosh, and a strange problem appears with my Samsung 970 EVO Plus 256GB.
Writing speed is dropping for no reason, and reading speed seems a little bit under his capabilities (see screenshot).
Do you have any idea what could cause this problem ?
I have the feeling its arriving especially with big files, in Disk Speed Test writing speed is around 2100 MB/s with 1Gb files, but for larger files, speed is dropping.
Firmware is up to date for the SSD.
I have just added NVMeFix.kext to the boot but nothing has changed so far.

Thanks for your help !

Suma

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 à 10.24.17.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 à 10.24.17.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Will the Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 work as a boot drive on my configuratioin:
CustoMac Pro: Core i7 6700K - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH - AMD RX 580
I am currently using a 256 GB M.2 drive but it's almost full so I need to upgrade.
Yeah, it should be fine, both the 1TB and 2TB versions work great.

Hi guys,

I have a brand new Hackintosh, and a strange problem appears with my Samsung 970 EVO Plus 256GB.
Writing speed is dropping for no reason, and reading speed seems a little bit under his capabilities (see screenshot).
Do you have any idea what could cause this problem ?
I have the feeling its arriving especially with big files, in Disk Speed Test writing speed is around 2100 MB/s with 1GB files, but for larger files, speed is dropping.
Firmware is up to date for the SSD.
I have just added NVMeFix.kext to the boot but nothing has changed so far.

Thanks for your help !

Suma
Hello,

Just to let you know the resolution of my case :
- I have made a fresh install and disable Filevault, and the speed in writing/reading mode was a little bit better. But still, there were issues with writing, speed was dropping round 200/300 Mb/s.
- Nothing seemed to help so, I decided to change the disc, I have bought a WD Black SN750, and wooooo! No more issue, full speed in writing, almost full in reading mode (around 2900 Mb/s).
Using Filevault here, hasn't changed anything in the speed behavior, everything is fine with this new disc.

So, I strongly suggest to avoid using Samsung 970 EVO Pluslus in your Hackintosh, regarding my experience and a lots of things I have red on this forum, it is not the best idea.

Cheers.

Suma

So, I strongly suggest to avoid using Samsung 970 EVO Pluslus in your Hackintosh, regarding my experience and a lots of things I have red on this forum, it is not the best idea.

I have two of them and they both work just fine. I also have two SN750 the one that is used for storage works great but the one used for the OS has speeds drop when transferring. Not saying this was your problem but if the drive has the OS on it do not expect to see the speeds that are advertised and expect it to fluctuate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back