Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 NVMe SSD is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I just update the firmware of 970 EVO Plus. The update was OK. Then continue to install macOS High Sierra with bootable USB. The process was running smoothly until copying file finished and mac restart, but loop again in to install process

After I repeat and check in to start up disk (after finish copying), I couldn’t find my EVO Plus show up.

I try to using Recovery Mode; the problem still the same. The hardware detected on Disk Utility, can copying file smoothly (booth HS and Mojave) but after that can’t boot on start up disk
Is there any idea about this, ???
It is make me very frustrated.
Currently, my Mac running on Sierra.

I had the same issue with the 970 EVP Plus looping on the second part of the j stalker. I updated the firmware too. I ended up solving this by hitting space before selecting the drive in the Clover Boot menu, then disabling al the flags. It kinda worked then; I’m not 100% sure why or how ... I suspect something specific to my setup.

I am now on the Desktop and everything is running smoothly. I did notice that, if I leave it, I’ll randomly come back to a black screen and the ‘stop sign’ which I believe means OSX can’t find the boot disk ? Also, occasionally on boot this happens too, it generally works second time. So I wonder if the M.2 drive is loose or disconnecting for some reason. I’m going to try another slot...

P.S I’m Running Mojave.

I had the same issue with the 970 EVP Plus looping on the second part of the j stalker. I updated the firmware too. I ended up solving this by hitting space before selecting the drive in the Clover Boot menu, then disabling al the flags. It kinda worked then; I’m not 100% sure why or how ... I suspect something specific to my setup.

I am now on the Desktop and everything is running smoothly. I did notice that, if I leave it, I’ll randomly come back to a black screen and the ‘stop sign’ which I believe means OSX can’t find the boot disk ? Also, occasionally on boot this happens too, it generally works second time. So I wonder if the M.2 drive is loose or disconnecting for some reason. I’m going to try another slot...

P.S I’m Running Mojave.

It could simply be that the 970 Evo Plus still is problematic with Mac OS, even if some have no issues with it after firmware update.

It's working perfect after firmware update. I have been using it for more than a week with no issues.
Seems to be working for me, thanks to everyone for tip.
Only used it for a few hours so far, but firmware update clearly helped to get rid of kernel panics.
Will post an update if I'll get into troubles later.

I am not really a glutton for punishment. I like to tinker and have been trying to update the firmware of the EVO 970 Plus for a few days, but without a PC, I am not sure if it is possible.
I installed an EVO 970 in my Early 2015 MBP 13" about 8 months ago and bought the 970 Plus for my wife. She will not tolerate any glitches, so I think I will return and go with another EVO 970.
Is the power/heat management of the 970 Plus a lot better? I suppose I could install my EVO 970 in her MBP and keep tinkering with the 970 Plus on MY machine if the benefits are worth it. Any thoughts? I am a pretty mainstream user so probably don't need the 50% increase in read/write speeds that the 970 Plus offers.
TIA

@TaurianVita
I installed a 970 Plus in a MBP Mid 2015 (Sintech Adapter) and so far it works great. I had to update the firmware though because otherwise it would self-reset during system boot.

FW update was MUCH simpler than I thought: you can simply use Etcher to write the 970 Plus Update ISO to an USB Stick (which was prepped with FAT32 and GUID partitioning.) The ISO is already EFI enabled so all you need to do is plug it in, hold option and select the EFI boot volume. That will start the Linux based update with ran without any issues.

As I said - so far no issues and read/write performance are better than with the EVO 960 I had used before.

At first I had used an external eclosure to dd the contents 1:1 from the old drive to the new one, but it turned out that my original APFS might have been borked a bit. I then just re-installed from the last TM backup and everything is excellent since then.

@TaurianVita
I installed a 970 Plus in a MBP Mid 2015 (Sintech Adapter) and so far it works great. I had to update the firmware though because otherwise it would self-reset during system boot.

FW update was MUCH simpler than I thought: you can simply use Etcher to write the 970 Plus Update ISO to an USB Stick (which was prepped with FAT32 and GUID partitioning.) The ISO is already EFI enabled so all you need to do is plug it in, hold option and select the EFI boot volume. That will start the Linux based update with ran without any issues.

As I said - so far no issues and read/write performance are better than with the EVO 960 I had used before.

At first I had used an external eclosure to dd the contents 1:1 from the old drive to the new one, but it turned out that my original APFS might have been borked a bit. I then just re-installed from the last TM backup and everything is excellent since then.
You need to have your hardware profile filled out as per rules (the ones you agreed to when signing up here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back