Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear this. Also, I now have all my parts: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K CPU, Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+, TridentZ DDR4 3200 32GB (2x16GB) and for boot/storage: 500GB SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2.
I want to do a fresh install of Mojave. A USB 3.1 Gen 1 SSD M.2 case I have on order, to format the SSD in advance.

I found a good post that tells you how to tell the Plus firmware needs to be updated.

You can download firmware update boot disks from Samsung homepage:

According to this latest firware version of NVMe SSD-970 EVO Plus is 2B2QEXM7.

You can download firmware update boot disks from Samsung homepage:

According to this latest firware version of NVMe SSD-970 EVO Plus is 2B2QEXM7.
thanks for info, quesiton: how you use the iso to update the NVME 970 Evo on hackintosh ? sorry beginner

thanks for info, quesiton: how you use the iso to update the NVME 970 Evo on hackintosh ? sorry beginner

Samsung should have platform independent instructions how to use their firmware update software. Please search their support site for instructions.

I tested Samsung 970 EVO Plus with older firmware and it was impossible to install macOS, disk utility crashed, install freezes etc. After upgrading the firmware to the latest version, everything works smoothly. You might need to install Windows 10 on some drive temprarily and Samsung Magician app to upgrade firmware.

I tested Samsung 970 EVO Plus with older firmware and it was impossible to install macOS, disk utility crashed, install freezes etc. After upgrading the firmware to the latest version, everything works smoothly. You might need to install Windows 10 on some drive temprarily and Samsung Magician app to upgrade firmware.
As in upgrade its firmware while on Windows 10 then install macOS for smoother ride ?

As in upgrade its firmware while on windows 10 then install macOS for smoother ride ?
You probably fail to install macOS on Samsung 970 EVO Plus drive if you haven’t upgraded the firmware first. you don’t need Windows to upgrade firmware, it’s just an option. Please read Samsung support documentation for detailed instructions about firmware update.

Did anyone tried installing Mojave on to 970 EVO?
I just completed a new build based on this, but used a 500GB 970 EVO for OS disk. For the most part, everything has gone rather smoothly, but I'm getting speeds significantly slower than expected. Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this? I've updated my Build Signature, but if there is more useful info I can provide, please let me know. I have 10.14.6 installed. The Link Width is only "1x", which seems wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-19 15.11.26.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-19 15.11.26.png
    334.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot 2020-01-19 15.32.03.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-19 15.32.03.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I just completed a new build based on this, but used a 500GB 970 EVO for OS disk. For the most part, everything has gone rather smoothly, but I'm getting speeds significantly slower than expected. Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this? I've updated my Build Signature, but if there is more useful info I can provide, please let me know. I have 10.14.6 installed. The Link Width is only "1x", which seems wrong?

Read your motherboard manual and see if the Nvme port you are using is sharing bandwidth with something else on the board, it should be x4. If it is in your Designare motherboard check under the golden build for your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back