Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's an exact clone, there should be no problems. Make sure you are copying the correct EFI folder to the correct destination. Make sure you are booting from the correct EFI partition.

That's exactly what I did, twice. Tried with Superduper and CCC, both got problems with booting and timeouts.
It's a weird situation for sure. I'm wondering if it's a 970 EVO specific issue at this point. Thanks for the help though.

Edit: I did some tests and the issue is indeed caused by my Corsair K63 keyboard.
When I boot with another keyboard it boots perfectly fine.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did, twice. Tried with Superduper and CCC, both got problems with booting and timeouts.
It's a weird situation for sure. I'm wondering if it's a 970 EVO specific issue at this point. Thanks for the help though.

Edit: I did some tests and the issue is indeed caused by my Corsair K63 keyboard.
When I boot with another keyboard it boots perfectly fine.

How strange is that! I just picked up a 970 EVO and K70, and I have a Z170 mobo. I haven't encountered any issues with the drive specifically. (Although boot time is the same as my SSD, so I'm questioning, aesthetics aside, whether I really needed the upgrade.)
I'm going to do a speed test at lunch.

How strange is that! I just picked up a 970 EVO and K70, and I have a Z170 mobo. I haven't encountered any issues with the drive specifically. (Although boot time is the same as my SSD, so I'm questioning, aesthetics aside, whether I really needed the upgrade.)
I'm going to do a speed test at lunch.

I have my system running perfect now since I started using a new keyboard so it's the Corsair keyboard that caused it 100%. And I agree, my system boots just as fast with the NVMe as it did with my previous SSD. I expected a noticeable difference as well.

I have found only about a 2-second improvement in boot times from my Crucial M500 500 GB SATA SSD to my Samsung 970 PRO NVMe 500 GB SSD. (From about 28 secs to about 26 secs, including my self-imposed 2-second delay in Clover to allow picking my boot drive.) But man, does CCC run faster!

Bought a 970 PRO and it seems to be close to the advertised speeds. Highly recommend!

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 10.31.41 PM.png

Just tried a 970 EVO PLUS. High Sierra not happy at all! System crashes after a couple of minutes. Fine under Windows.

Just tried a 970 EVO PLUS. High Sierra not happy at all! System crashes after a couple of minutes. Fine under Windows.
I got the same Plus version in 500gigs, Mojave and High Sierra both freeze a minute after you mount it. Tried everything, looks to be incompatible at the moment, it has large memory chips and macos can't handle it I think. Super fast drive under Windows indeed, shame really. I hope it gets fixed eventually.

I got the same Plus version in 500gigs, Mojave and High Sierra both freeze a minute after you mount it. Tried everything, looks to be incompatible at the moment
Strange as the 970 EVO and the 970 EVO PLUS both share the NVMe 1.3 specification.

I've tried different formats ExFat/NTFS/APFS/HFS
Removing a PCIe card that shares lanes
Removing some KEXTS
Adding the SSDT fix to make it internal

Still crashes the whole osX after a minute or so.

Promising speeds though, just completely useless at the moment.

Strange as the 970 EVO and the 970 EVO PLUS both share the NVMe 1.3 specification.

I've tried different formats ExFat/NTFS/APFS/HFS
Removing a PCIe card that shares lanes
Removing some KEXTS
Adding the SSDT fix to make it internal

Still crashes the whole osX after a minute or so.

Promising speeds though, just completely useless at the moment.

Sounds exactly like how the Samsung PM981 behaves in macOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back