Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
it works perfectly with my setup:
1- install Mojave on normal SSD
2- Format samsung 970 evo nvme in APFS with disk Utility
3- clone SSD Mojave to samsung 970 evo nvme with Carbon Copy Cloner
4- Copy Efi folder to SSD Mojave instalation, Mount Efi with Clover Configurator in samsung 970 evo nvme partition and paste Efi folder.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-17 at 13.06.52.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-17 at 13.06.52.png
    246 KB · Views: 275
  • Screenshot 2018-11-17 at 13.07.16.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-17 at 13.07.16.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 305
  • DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 312
Hi Every body, just to share my experience with this 970 EVO 500GB.
First, I installed it in the first M.2 port I found on my Mobo. My performance was 1500Mbps write and 3000Mbps in read (with BlackMagic).
I see lot of people with this kind of performance but you can expect way more with the 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD.

So I found that I have an other M.2 port only for name SSD. I put the EVO on it and now I have 2500MBs write and more than 3000MBs with read.

So Be care of which M.2 port you are using.

I've got a 960 Evo in my Z97x-UD5H in a Lycom DT-120 the PCIe 16x slot and I'm getting 1500/1700 speeds. Profile of the machine is iMac 14,1. Drive is rated much higher. All my Sata ports are filled. I'd like to get the fastest speed possible out of this card, but not sure why it's not getting it. If I change the profile to imac 17,1 will that speed things up?

System reports the card is running at x4 ( see photo)

Attachments

• Pasted_Image_12_19_18__11_01_AM.png
    Pasted_Image_12_19_18__11_01_AM.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 118
Hi Every body, just to share my experience with this 970 EVO 500GB.
First, I installed it in the first M.2 port I found on my Mobo. My performance was 1500Mbps write and 3000Mbps in read (with BlackMagic).
I see lot of people with this kind of performance but you can expect way more with the 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD.

So I found that I have an other M.2 port only for name SSD. I put the EVO on it and now I have 2500MBs write and more than 3000MBs with read.

So Be care of which M.2 port you are using.

Comparison with a 960 Pro 2TB SSD. Maybe I should change over to APFS:
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 1.05.18 AM.png
:

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 12.58.24 AM.png

Last edited:
I have a weird problem with my new 970 EVO. I cloned my perfect running SSD to the new NVME but get a timeout every time I boot. I obviously formatted it to APFS and it was detected fine in my system. It gets stuck at "Unable to start IOUSBHostHIDDevice" which is strange since the exact same copy on my normal SSD has been booting fine for a year.
I'm also using all latest kexts and Clover available right now. Anyone know what could be the problem here? Haven't been able to figure this one out for days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I have a weird problem with my new 970 EVO. I cloned my perfect running SSD to the new NVME but get a timeout every time I boot. I obviously formatted it to APFS and it was detected fine in my system. It gets stuck at "Unable to start IOUSBHostHIDDevice" which is strange since the exact same copy on my normal SSD has been booting fine for a year.
I'm also using all latest kexts and Clover available right now. Anyone know what could be the problem here? Haven't been able to figure this one out for days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's stopping at a graphics error.

It's stopping at a graphics error.

I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with my GPU, it definitely has to do with the IOUSBHIDDevice.
This is actually a bad screenshot because I just discovered that it has something to do with my
Corsair K63 Keyboard. My Nvidia loads every single time without problems. When I disconnected
my keyboard during the "stuck" fase it instantly booted to the mac loading bar. Weird.

I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with my GPU, it definitely has to do with the IOUSBHIDDevice.
This is actually a bad screenshot because I just discovered that it has something to do with my
Corsair K63 Keyboard. My Nvidia loads every single time without problems. When I disconnected
my keyboard during the "stuck" fase it instantly booted to the mac loading bar. Weird.

gIOScreenLockState 3 is a graphics error.

IMG_1962.JPG

gIOScreenLockState 3 is a graphics error.

View attachment 376534

Ok, if it's a graphic issue and I have Lilu, Whatevergreen and webdrivers installed, any idea what the problem could be?
I don't understand how everything can work on a exact copy on a normal SSD but fails or does a timeout on the NVME?

Ok, if it's a graphic issue and I have Lilu, Whatevergreen and webdrivers installed, any idea what the problem could be?
I don't understand how everything can work on a exact copy on a normal SSD but fails or does a timeout on the NVME?

If it's an exact clone, there should be no problems. Make sure you are copying the correct EFI folder to the correct destination. Make sure you are booting from the correct EFI partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back