Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 970 evo 250 GB directly in MB slot.These are my speeds. The drive should be getting better speeds according to specs. Am I missing something in my settings, kexts etc that would cause this

Looks like you are getting x2 (instead of x4) speeds. Can you confirm the connection width from system information -> NVMe tab?

Looks like you are getting x2 (instead of x4) speeds. Can you confirm the connection width from system information -> NVMe tab?

You are correct. It is directly on the motherboard in the M.2 connector which shares Pciex4 slot disabling the slot when an M.2 is in the motherboard connector..
I removed the 970 and mounted it on a PCIe M.2 adaptor and installed in pie 3 slot. That configuration gives me x4 speed. I would like to keep art mounted on the motherboard rather than in an adaptor card. Any suggestions as to how to get it x4 on the motherboard. It specifically states it supports x4 32GB rate

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 3.16.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 3.16.24 PM.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Looks like you should not have anything connected to PCIex4 port. Also check BIOS settings for NVMe link width, if there is any.
There was nothing in the pcix4e slot .
To test I removed the 970 and mounted it on a PCIex4 M.2 adaptor card and installed in PCIex8- 3 slot. That configuration gives me x4 speed. I would like to keep it mounted on the motherboard rather than in an adaptor card. Any suggestions as to how to get it x4 on the motherboard. It specifically states it supports x4 32GB rate.

There was nothing in the pcix4e slot .
To test I removed the 970 and mounted it on a PCIex4 M.2 adaptor card and installed in PCIex8- 3 slot. That configuration gives me x4 speed. I would like to keep it mounted on the motherboard rather than in an adaptor card. Any suggestions as to how to get it x4 on the motherboard. It specifically states it supports x4 32GB rate.

Maybe this particular SSD is not yet supported? Just wild guessing here. If you have any chance to try older SSD models with x4, it may help. There is a M.2 support list at motherboard's web site (with update date 2016/03/25), includes only 950 EVO/Pro models.

Also empty all other SATA / SATA Express slots to see whether there is any difference. Not that it says anything in manual, though.

Here Samsung M2 970 -250GB - and speed is ok - 10.14.1 beta
no extra kext used
1468/2658

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-10-04 om 03.41.13.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-10-04 om 03.41.13.png
    759.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Maybe this particular SSD is not yet supported? Just wild guessing here. If you have any chance to try older SSD models with x4, it may help. There is a M.2 support list at motherboard's web site (with update date 2016/03/25), includes only 950 EVO/Pro models.

Also empty all other SATA / SATA Express slots to see whether there is any difference. Not that it says anything in manual, though.
That was the only drive attached. You may right about the motherboard although the bios has NVMe support. I'm contacting Gigabyte to see if they have an answer. Ill live with the adapter for now. these are results with 970 on PCIe adapter

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.29.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.29.31 PM.png
    693.7 KB · Views: 208
I just did a reboot. From the Clover boot menu to macOS 10.13.5 desktop took exactly 30 seconds on the 970 EVO. This is with "Reopen windows when logging back in" enabled and a fair number of startup items.
I'm considering adding a NVMe SSD to the M.2 slot in my Z370N-WIFI motherboard. My boot time is about 28 seconds from the power-on button to the desktop, using my Crucial M500 SATA SSD drive. Since I have a Mini-ITX computer with a built-in power supply of "only" 180 watts, I'm concerned about power consumption of the hypothetical NVMe SSD. How much power do those things use (say like the 970 EVO)? And will boot time be about the same?

I'm considering adding a NVMe SSD to the M.2 slot in my Z370N-WIFI motherboard. My boot time is about 28 seconds from the power-on button to the desktop, using my Crucial M500 SATA SSD drive. Since I have a Mini-ITX computer with a built-in power supply of "only" 180 watts, I'm concerned about power consumption of the hypothetical NVMe SSD. How much power do those things use (say like the 970 EVO)? And will boot time be about the same?

I really don't know how much power the 970 EVO uses but I can't imagine it being anything significant...

I think the last time I timed booting, it was about 35 seconds from Clover boot menu to macOS desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back