Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure this slow boot times wasn't with TRIM enabled via the terminal command, and that now on the new drive you have no TRIM enabled?

I have a Sandisk 960GB SSD and w/o trim HS would boot in less than a minute, but drive performance would degrade wildly after 2 or 3 power cycles (I copy and delete several big files every boot up, so I guess this might make more of an impact on performance when not having TRIM)

I have a 970evo (500GB one) arriving today and hope it keeps its performance without TRIM being forced, I´ve read several posts that indicate people doing ok without it.

Regards!

I never had TRIM enabled via neither Clover patch nor terminal command, but since it's an NVMe SSD, TRIM is enabled by default and can not be turned off.

With my old 950PRO, the verbose log will show "failed to finish all transactions in sync()! (err 16)" and then stuck there for like a minute when booting. (exactly the same issue as this thread posts https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/long-boot-times-in-high-sierra-2-min.241709/ )

guys, is 970 evo the same as PM981? because the pm981 is problematic, I have it in my laptop, and i see it uses the same technology, but it has kernel panics on macOS. I was booting from external usb HDD (with JHFS+) 10.13.4, and when enabling NVMe got panics. people say it requires patching kext from 10.12 and it's weird because 970 is working..

guys, is 970 evo the same as PM981? because the pm981 is problematic, I have it in my laptop, and i see it uses the same technology, but it has kernel panics on macOS. I was booting from external usb HDD (with JHFS+) 10.13.4, and when enabling NVMe got panics. people say it requires patching kext from 10.12 and it's weird because 970 is working..

I have never read of anyone having success using a PM981.
So far, I haven't read of any problems with 970 EVO or 970 Pro.
Therefore, obviously not the same.

So my 970PRO arrived today, transferred everything from the old 960PRO with Migration Assistant.
Guess what. The boot time is now around 10s. XD

So I believe the 960PRO lacks some functionalities required by APFS and causes a "long boot" time(over 1:30)

FYI. Both 970/960 I'm using are 1TB. Anyone else encountered my "long/slow boot" problem should consider changing your drive.

I can confirm your post 100%. I've also replaced my 960pro 1TB Samsung SSD with the 970pro one. Now MacOS starts in 10s. Thank you very much for your experience you share with us.
I've forgotten to install firmware updates of the 960pro SSD from Samsung before replacing it with the 970pro one. Have you tried to update the firmware of the 960pro SSD ? Probably the performance and compatibility issues in MacOS would get resolved.
This means that the new Samsung 970pro SSD models are 100% compatible with MacOS 10.13 and the APFS file system.
What about the 970 EVO models ?

I can confirm your post 100%. I've also replaced my 960pro 1TB Samsung SSD with the 970pro one. Now MacOS starts in 10s. Thank you very much for your experience you share with us.
I've forgotten to install firmware updates of the 960pro SSD from Samsung before replacing it with the 970pro one. Have you tried to update the firmware of the 960pro SSD ? Probably the performance and compatibility issues in MacOS would get resolved.
This means that the new Samsung 970pro SSD models are 100% compatible with MacOS 10.13 and the APFS file system.

High five mate!

My 960 PRO's firmware version is 2B6QCXP7, and it's the latest firmware Samsung provides on their website (link: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/ ).

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 9.30.19 PM.png

EVO is native as well I did nothing to activate it as it lists correctly in High Sierra. Formatted it but that’s it.

@ Gigamaxx

Do you experience prolonged boot times ?

No, it’s normal 20-30 seconds. I think most boot issues have to do with Kexts, dsdt and ACPI tables or configurations and how many and what types of drivers 64/64efi are being used. Each system and motherboard is different and fixes needed for one may not be needed for another so a lot of excessive loading or attempted loading takes place. Experiment and we how few drivers you need to load and still have a functioning setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back