Contribute
Register

Samsung 960 EVO firmware -- Windows or Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming-K7
CPU
i7-7700K (Kaby Lake 4-core 4.2GHz)
Graphics
Built in (Intel HD Graphics 630)
I'm building a new hackmac with a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD. I will install VMware Fusion and run Windows also. Samsung does not list any firmware updates for the 960 EVO for Mac, but they do list an update for Windows (2B7QCXE7). They do not explain exactly what the difference is, or how the active OS would be affected by having the firmware version for the other OS.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

Since the base OS will be MacOS, and that will be the primary use of the machine, should I leave the firmware as is? If performance while running MacOS is not adversely affected by the SSD using the firmware marked for Windows, but there's a performance improvement for Windows, maybe I should upgrade the firmware to the Windows version.

I welcome any knowledgeable or experienced opinions. Thanks.

I'm building a new hackmac with a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD. I will install VMware Fusion and run Windows also. Samsung does not list any firmware updates for the 960 EVO for Mac, but they do list an update for Windows (2B7QCXE7). They do not explain exactly what the difference is, or how the active OS would be affected by having the firmware version for the other OS.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

Since the base OS will be MacOS, and that will be the primary use of the machine, should I leave the firmware as is? If performance while running MacOS is not adversely affected by the SSD using the firmware marked for Windows, but there's a performance improvement for Windows, maybe I should upgrade the firmware to the Windows version.

I welcome any knowledgeable or experienced opinions. Thanks.
Maybe the firmware update software is a Windows application.

Maybe the firmware update software is a Windows application.
Thank you for the suggestion. Samsung recommends the cross-platform tool UNetbootin that uses Syslinux to create the bootable thumb drive. During the creation process it asks for the .iso file containing the actual firmware.

Thank you for the suggestion. Samsung recommends the cross-platform tool UNetbootin that uses Syslinux to create the bootable thumb drive. During the creation process it asks for the .iso file containing the actual firmware.
Why not install the firmware? It's not like you are trying to use the NVME SSD in a real mac is it? Cos that probably isn't supported.

Before updating research the reason for the update. What does this updated firmware do that the current firmware does not? If it is an advantage to update then do so. If no advantage, why bother?
Remember that drive firmware updates can brick the drive if they go wrong in the process. Make sure you clone/backup before proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back