Gigabyte Aorus H370 Gaming WiFi
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 560 4GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
In my hack I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (250GB) and WD platter drive (500GB)

Both ‘blessed’ with multi-beast, both have clones of High Sierra and Mojave. I can boot from and to any four OS.

I decided to replace WD platter with Samsung 870 EVO SSD (500GB).

I won’t go through the exceedingly many options I did but where I am now.

I have blessed the 870 and have cloned Mojave from the 850. EFI on 870 is a copy of EFI 850. I have tried both formatted as extended Journaled and APFS.

If I take out the WD drive or 850 and replace with 870, the 870 can be used as the clover boot and will boot with no worries.

BUT if I RESTART, the 870 will not boot. It will run for a bit in verbose then I get a screen with illegible writing and a logo of an “O” with line through it (no entry sign). I attach photos of screens just before 870 stops booting properly and when if fails.
BEFORE.jpg
AFTER.jpg

If I reset and boot into the 850 (or the WD) the 870 SSD is nowhere to be seen either on the desktop or in disk utility.

IF I SHUTDOWN then start the hack the 870 will do everything perfectly well, either booting or will be seen on the desktop if I boot into 850/WD.

I can put the 870 into an external drive enclosure, connected to the hack via usb. The 870 will boot perfectly (slow) using it as a clover boot volume or booted from one of the internal drives. I can restarted without trouble so 870 works perfectly as an external drive but not consistently as an internal drive.

The BIOS, EFI (config.plist) and associated KEXT have not changed.

Is there some difference between 850 and 870 that warrants a change?

Oh I do hope there is a simple solution.

In my hack I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (250GB) and WD platter drive (500GB)

Both ‘blessed’ with multi-beast, both have clones of High Sierra and Mojave. I can boot from and to any four OS.

I decided to replace WD platter with Samsung 870 EVO SSD (500GB).

I won’t go through the exceedingly many options I did but where I am now.

I have blessed the 870 and have cloned Mojave from the 850. EFI on 870 is a copy of EFI 850. I have tried both formatted as extended Journaled and APFS.

If I take out the WD drive or 850 and replace with 870, the 870 can be used as the clover boot and will boot with no worries.

BUT if I RESTART, the 870 will not boot. It will run for a bit in verbose then I get a screen with illegible writing and a logo of an “O” with line through it (no entry sign). I attach photos of screens just before 870 stops booting properly and when if fails.View attachment 537919View attachment 537920

If I reset and boot into the 850 (or the WD) the 870 SSD is nowhere to be seen either on the desktop or in disk utility.

IF I SHUTDOWN then start the hack the 870 will do everything perfectly well, either booting or will be seen on the desktop if I boot into 850/WD.

I can put the 870 into an external drive enclosure, connected to the hack via usb. The 870 will boot perfectly (slow) using it as a clover boot volume or booted from one of the internal drives. I can restarted without trouble so 870 works perfectly as an external drive but not consistently as an internal drive.

The BIOS, EFI (config.plist) and associated KEXT have not changed.

Is there some difference between 850 and 870 that warrants a change?

Oh I do hope there is a simple solution.
not sure what you mean by "blessed"

but the error you want to search for is: "Still waiting for root device"

Thanks Feartech

"Blessed" means that I have run multibeast on all the drives (850, WD and 870) so they are all bootable (Step 5: Post Installation with Multibeast. tonymacx86.com guide)

I have never seen "Still waiting for root device" and if I did what would I do about it?

Again I have booted etc quite happily when the 870 is an extermal drive but will only boot after a shutdown when an internal drive.

Please get back to me if there is anything I haven't explained well or you would like further information.

Thanks Feartech

"Blessed" means that I have run multibeast on all the drives (850, WD and 870) so they are all bootable (Step 5: Post Installation with Multibeast. tonymacx86.com guide)

I have never seen "Still waiting for root device" and if I did what would I do about it?

Again I have booted etc quite happily when the 870 is an extermal drive but will only boot after a shutdown when an internal drive.

Please get back to me if there is anything I haven't explained well or you would like further information.
your last image where the screen gets corrupted, at the bottom of that screen says "Still waiting for root device"

if you have a search for that on the site, it has been answered many times

but as you haven't uploaded your zipped clover folder, it is difficult in trying help further......

Thanks for pointing out "Still waiting for root device" another lesson learnt.

I have read several posts/answers on the subject by yourselves and Rehabman but have not yet found one that relates to my particular situation. I shall keep reading.

In the mean time though I attached clover zip file noting this works for Samsung 850 and WD internal drives.

It still frustrates me that Samsung 870 will boot etc after shutdown but not after restart and works perfectly when an external drive via USB

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    16.9 MB · Views: 67
Thanks for pointing out "Still waiting for root device" another lesson learnt.

I have read several posts/answers on the subject by yourselves and Rehabman but have not yet found one that relates to my particular situation. I shall keep reading.

In the mean time though I attached clover zip file noting this works for Samsung 850 and WD internal drives.

It still frustrates me that Samsung 870 will boot etc after shutdown but not after restart and works perfectly when an external drive via USB
make sure you have done this:

Hi Feartech

I am very confused and very worried.

All my USB ports work perfectly when I boot from Mojave or High Sierra from internal SATA hard drives – Samsung 850 SSD or WD platter.

I am at a loss why the Samsung 870 SSD which boots etc connected to USB port but not when connected to SATA connection has anything to do with USB port Configuration.

I would be very grateful if you would explain.

If I am using the same SATA ports on the motherboard and cables to connect the 870 as I do for either 850 or WD why isn’t the 870 performing as perfectly as the other hard drives?

I have read “The New Beginner’s Guide to USB Port Configuration” but have not implemented any of it because of what I said above and seeking your further clarification.

I apologise if I am not seeing the obvious but please bear with me.

Hi Feartech

I am very confused and very worried.

All my USB ports work perfectly when I boot from Mojave or High Sierra from internal SATA hard drives – Samsung 850 SSD or WD platter.

I am at a loss why the Samsung 870 SSD which boots etc connected to USB port but not when connected to SATA connection has anything to do with USB port Configuration.

I would be very grateful if you would explain.

If I am using the same SATA ports on the motherboard and cables to connect the 870 as I do for either 850 or WD why isn’t the 870 performing as perfectly as the other hard drives?

I have read “The New Beginner’s Guide to USB Port Configuration” but have not implemented any of it because of what I said above and seeking your further clarification.

I apologise if I am not seeing the obvious but please bear with me.
sometimes adding sata-unsupported.kext may also help

and no, your setup is missing a USBPorts.kext, this needs to be done

I have been searching the net for sata-unsupported.kext and USBPorts.kext and have been unable to find them.

Are you able to provide me links to where I might get them, thanks.

I note "FAQ Laptop" in your previous post, just to clarify mine is constructed tower/desktop not a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back