Contribute
Register

Safe to upgrade my SSD after a successful build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus PRIME H270M Plus
CPU
i5 - 7500
Graphics
GTX 1060 6GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi I am a newbie here :D, recently I build a hackintosh without any major issue, except the type C USB, the rest works perfectly thanks to the tutorial from the discussion thread.

Here is my HW
MB = ASUS Prime H270 Plus(Only type C fails to work, the rest including audio, usb3.0 works fine)
CPU = i5 7500
SSD = Intel 600p series M2 PCIe 128GB
HDD = Seagate Barracuda 1TB
GRAPHIC = ASUS ROG STRIX 1060 6GB (Works perfectly with the driver, can use CUDA acceleration for Unity, Adobe premiere...)

Got 3 questions here
1. Recently, the public-downloadable non beta version of Mojave has come out, is it SAFE to update ?
2. I will like to upgrade my SSD, which of these will be the most compatible (my friend got an OEM SSD such as Samsung PM981 SM961, which cause compatibility issues) Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Intel 760P 512GB, WD Black NVMe SSD thanks.
3. If I buy a new SSD and wanna re-install hackintosh, which will be better, install high sierra and update to mojave or directly install mojave (Actually I just want to use the dark mode, maybe there are similar apps or extensions for High Sierra)?

Great thanks for the help :D

Hi I am a newbie here :D, recently I build a hackintosh without any major issue, except the type C USB, the rest works perfectly thanks to the tutorial from the discussion thread.

Here is my HW
MB = ASUS Prime H270 Plus(Only type C fails to work, the rest including audio, usb3.0 works fine)
CPU = i5 7500
SSD = Intel 600p series M2 PCIe 128GB
HDD = Seagate Barracuda 1TB
GRAPHIC = ASUS ROG STRIX 1060 6GB (Works perfectly with the driver, can use CUDA acceleration for Unity, Adobe premiere...)

Got 3 questions here
1. Recently, the public-downloadable non beta version of Mojave has come out, is it SAFE to update ?
2. I will like to upgrade my SSD, which of these will be the most compatible (my friend got an OEM SSD such as Samsung PM981 SM961, which cause compatibility issues) Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Intel 760P 512GB, WD Black NVMe SSD thanks.
3. If I buy a new SSD and wanna re-install hackintosh, which will be better, install high sierra and update to mojave or directly install mojave (Actually I just want to use the dark mode, maybe there are similar apps or extensions for High Sierra)?

Great thanks for the help :D

(1) Not yet. Nvidia has not released web drivers for Mojave which are necessary for your graphics card to function correctly. Since you are using it for work, I suggest you stay with High Sierra for the time being and wait until your software are declared Mojave compatible before you consider upgrading.

Personally I won't consider Mojave until at least 10.14.4 or later.

(1) Not yet. Nvidia has not released web drivers for Mojave which are necessary for your graphics card to function correctly. Since you are using it for work, I suggest you stay with High Sierra for the time being and wait until your software are declared Mojave compatible before you consider upgrading.

Personally I won't consider Mojave until at least 10.14.4 or later.

How about the SSD, is it safe to upgrade my hardware? Thanks :)

How about the SSD, is it safe to upgrade my hardware? Thanks :)

Upgrade the SSD to a better one? Sure you can if you want to. Just stay with High Sierra for the time being.

In my opinion, it is unwise to rush to upgrade from an older version when a new MacOS is released. There can be various problems like driver availability (like the current Nvidia) and software compatibility problems. I believe it is best to wait at least a few months before these problems are resolved before considering upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back