i7 9700k
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Title says it all. Put together the hack last night, and installed through unibeast+multibeast. Everything was running well (save for imessage). Rebooted several times, installed a bunch of software. Turned sleep off and left the tower on overnight. Came back to it after work and it was off. Tried powering it on, fans kick on but no video. Can't really tell if it's POSTing or not, but I don't think it is - I don't have any speakers hooked up and the sabertooth doesn't come with a little post speaker like some mobos do. Cracked open the case, checked everything. Unplugged the second hard drive and two of the fans (just to be on the safe side). Tried power again and the red CPU error LED lights up and stays lit until I power the computer back down. Re-seated the CPU and heatsink. Checked for shorts. Cleared the CMOS. Can't find anything or a reason that it ran fine for 6+ hours, then died.

Any advice?

System Spec:
Intel 3770k
Sabertooth z77
Corsair H80i CPU cooler
Corsair Vengeance ram, 16gb (on compatability list)

I might try flashing the bios with the stock ASUS bios to see if it helps.

cpu light on can be cpu problem (seating, damaged etc), or even something like a corrupted bios.

try flashing the latest bios using usb flashback

So far tried newest asus bios, and the sabertooth patched bios. No luck. Still have the red light of doom.

Any ideas guys? I'm looking for a Christmas miracle in the 'I don't have to buy a new CPU' area. It was running at around 90 degrees F for hours before it shut off. Could it have overheated and damaged the CPU?

that temp isnt close to overheating.

its gonna be the mobo thats messed up, rather than the cpu.
rma the board

Title says it all. Put together the hack last night, and installed through unibeast+multibeast. Everything was running well (save for imessage). Rebooted several times, installed a bunch of software. Turned sleep off and left the tower on overnight. Came back to it after work and it was off. Tried powering it on, fans kick on but no video. Can't really tell if it's POSTing or not, but I don't think it is - I don't have any speakers hooked up and the sabertooth doesn't come with a little post speaker like some mobos do. Cracked open the case, checked everything. Unplugged the second hard drive and two of the fans (just to be on the safe side). Tried power again and the red CPU error LED lights up and stays lit until I power the computer back down. Re-seated the CPU and heatsink. Checked for shorts. Cleared the CMOS. Can't find anything or a reason that it ran fine for 6+ hours, then died.

Any advice?

System Spec:
Intel 3770k
Sabertooth z77
Corsair H80i CPU cooler
Corsair Vengeance ram, 16gb (on compatability list)

I might try flashing the bios with the stock ASUS bios to see if it helps.

Same exact thing happened to me with the same MOBO and Proc. The only difference is that my system ran fine for two days before going South. The CPU seemed pretty steady at 38C the whole time it was running so i don't think it's fried. One other thing to note is that none of the chassis or accessory fans spin when the box is powered on which leads me to believe it's indeed a MOBO issue. I'm starting to think, after seeing this and a few other recent threads on the same issue, that there must be a bad lot of these mobos out there.

Thanks for the input. Just put the mobo in the mail today for a RMA. As a side note, I used to (and still do) really like ASUS mobos, but when I went to search on how to do an RMA, I started to type 'how to RMA an a...' and google autocompleted to 'how to RMA an asus motherboard.' It's not a good sign when google has seen that requested so many times that it's the first thing it thinks you want.

Hopefully when the new one gets to me, I'll be back up and running. I will say for the 6 hours I had it, it ran like a tank.

thats the same for all of them.
start googling 'how to rma an ms.....' and itll come up with msi motherboard.
same with gi.... for gigabyte, as..... for asrock etc.

google is skynet

lol, good point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back