Graphics
5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, everyone!

I was looking through my files on my hackintosh, and I found something very interesting: there are kexts both in /S/L/E and /L/E, which I don't remember putting there. I'm guessing some automated installation programs did it when I first made my hack a year ago.

All of the kexts that I actually use are in /efi/clover/kexts/other where I've intentionally put them.

My question is this: If I delete all of the kexts in /S/L/E and /L/E, will that hurt anything? (My reasoning for this is because I'm afraid some of those kexts might be outdated and causing subtle performance issues.)

-Kyle

This seems to be a byproduct of using automated tools, this I am not a fan of but that just me, I have all my kexts in one location /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other. I know some say that they need to be in the other folders but I don't do it that way. doing so creates version control issues and as you know, some kexts get updated for a reason and your system can crash in the middle of an update if you have old versions. what ever action you take, make backups and only do small changes so you know what action did what and you can back out.

Kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other MAY not cache correctly and should be in /L/E. There will be lots of kexts in /S/L/E that should be there and remain there, mainly Apple's own ones. You stand killing your Hackintosh if you delete/move those.

Lots of programs can install in /L/E as well and won't work if you delete/move them. Printers are a good example of programs etc that install in /L/E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back