Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-A/3.1 with Thunderbolt card
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
Nvidia 750 Ti
-Is system/library/extensions 'bootdrive'/library/extensions?

-Where is Library/Extensions (L/E) at?

-EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS

What is the difference between the 3 kext locations and the system? Id really like to understand

System/Library/Extensions is now in Sierra a hidden file in the root of your Sierra install.
Library/Extensions is a visible file in the root of your Sierra install.

Both contain drivers (kexts = kernel extensions) for your system.
EFI/Clover/kexts is a folder in the Clover boot loader. You can install a kext to either S/L/E or L/E and it will work with your system. Some kexts will work from Clover/kexts folders but some do not as they need to be in the kernel cache for proper booting.
Best practice today is to use the Clover kext folders for your USB installer/emergency backup boot device and install your kexts to L/E once you have Clover installed to the SSD/HDD.

System/Library/Extensions is now in Sierra a hidden file in the root of your Sierra install.
Library/Extensions is a visible file in the root of your Sierra install.

Both contain drivers (kexts = kernel extensions) for your system.
EFI/Clover/kexts is a folder in the Clover boot loader. You can install a kext to either S/L/E or L/E and it will work with your system. Some kexts will work from Clover/kexts folders but some do not as they need to be in the kernel cache for proper booting.
Best practice today is to use the Clover kext folders for your USB installer/emergency backup boot device and install your kexts to L/E once you have Clover installed to the SSD/HDD.

So I only have "M.2 drive"/Library/Extensions which is my LE
But I cant find where SLE would be I unhide hidden files, is there supposed to be a hidden library folder with extensions in it?

So I only have "M.2 drive"/Library/Extensions which is my LE
But I cant find where SLE would be I unhide hidden files, is there supposed to be a hidden library folder with extensions in it?

In Terminal:
Code:
open /System/Library/Extensions

Or if you want to make the folders visible...
Code:
sudo chflags nohidden /System
sudo chflags nohidden /System/Library
sudo chflags nohidden /System/Library/Extensions

In Terminal:
Code:
open /System/Library/Extensions

Or if you want to make the folders visible...
Code:
sudo chflags nohidden /System
sudo chflags nohidden /System/Library
sudo chflags nohidden /System/Library/Extensions

Thanks! Finally!!!

I had two fakePCIID_XHCI kexts in there (one for intel HD graphics and the other just the normal one) as I went to nvidia graphics. I think its causing a USB issue, but had no clue where to find SLE.

Looks like I have tons of kexts in there, im guessing that normal? This is a list of all the kext the system actually needs?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 11.40.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 11.40.10 AM.png
    215.2 KB · Views: 965
Looks like I have tons of kexts in there, im guessing that normal? This is a list of all the kext the system actually needs?

Normal. It is generally a good idea to install kexts to /L/E instead of /S/L/E as it is easier to see which kexts you installed vs. the ones provided by Apple.

May it be possible to have kexts installed in /L/E together with same kexts in Clover/Other for system updates?

That is exactly what I recommend.
"essential kexts" -> EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
"kexts you need" -> /L/E

Note: There is some overlap in the two sets "essential kexts" and "kexts you need".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back