1. Apple
  2. eMac
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Darkside.jpg

Heyas folks, just thought that I would share my success story! I had been using a rock solid i7 3770K Z77X-UD5H system for the past 8 years but decided to switch to Team Red after the boot loaders now patch AMD CPUs on-the-fly as they do Intel. My first ever Hackintosh back in the day was an AMD 64 X2 that I found in the trash. From there I moved on to an Athlon and eventually settled with a Phenom II before switching to Intel's (then new) Core i platform. I must say, things have come a very very long way since the early days of Chameleon and patched AMD Kernels.

System Specs:

System
:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC Gaming
2x8GB Thermaltake 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 Thoughram

Storage:
500GB WB Blue PCI 3.0 NVME (Mac OS)
500GB ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G PCI 3.0 NVME (Windows 10)
4x WD Black 1TB
1x WD Black 1.5TB
1x Segate 3GB (hot'n noisy... typical)

Peripherals:
Corsair K70 Lux RGB Cherry Brown
Corsair M65 Pro (Black)
Logitec K400 wireless keyboard/mouse
XBOX One wireless controller

Displays:
Samsung C27JG5x 27" WQHD 144Hz Curved (Main display)
Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW 24" WUXGA (Secondary display)
Samsung Q60R 49" 4K HDR QLED (Couch Gaming)
Hitachi 46LTV 46" LED (Basement Gaming)

Case: Thermaltake Level 20 XT

EFI:
(EFI folder attached below)

Bootloader: Clover version 5120

ACPI:
SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD
SSDT-NVME
SSDT-PLUG

Kexts:
AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
AppleALC.kext
Lilu.kext
SmallTree-Intel-211VA-PCIe-GBE.kext
SMCAMDProcessor.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Install method is simple. Use the UniBeast install method to make a USB installer and copy over my Clover folder to the EFI, replacing the one that's created. Easy breezy! For more info on Clover, see below.
Make sure to disable Above 4G Decoding in the BIOS!

99.9% ROCK SOLID performance! Everything works except sleep. Despite having a custom SSDT for USB (not necessary though as all ports work OOB), sleep only works if it is set to auto and no USB devices are plugged in/active. Not that much of an issue as scheduled startup and shutdown work fine and are what I use normally, regardless if sleep works or not. It still irks me that I am so close to having working sleep but something eludes me. Even turning off my RGB Unicorn vomit has no effect. Ah well, this same issue persisted on Intel for years and still plagues many users on newer Z390/490 systems so I have faith that someday the community will find a solution for us AMD users. #AMDSLEEPMATTERS :p

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 12.45.11 AM.png

Oh, one last thing! Clover! Yes, you read that correctly. I am using Clover as a boot loader, and it works as always: FANTASTIC! I am not sure which version started including AMD CPU on-the-fly patching of the Kernel, but hey, it works and best of all you don't have to tear out your hair and want to ram your first through the screen trying to manually configure both the config.plist and reconfiguration with each new OpenCore release. Yup, Clover works, Clover Configurator works. Hell, Clover even now has a patch that emulates NullIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext! Booya! All-in-all, you can get a fully working vanilla install of Mac OS using Clover. In terms of speed, Mac OS CPU and OpenGL benchmarks results mirror that of Windows down to margin of error.

Oh, one last niggle. Adobe products may or may not NEED PATCHING. It seems Adobe doesn't like AMD's version of MMX, MMX+. Click here for the fixes.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:
Thanks for posting, this may be my next build. 4K footage and DaVinci Resolve have almost convinced me to build a monster windows machine but this could keep me comfortable in the OS I have always loved for another year or two.
Bravo!

I am not sure that the supposed technical advantages of OC, at least for Intel, are worth it compared to Clover. To each her own. I thought OpenCore was the only way to install Catalina on Ryzen so that's why I did--it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be but installing or replacing kexts is much more complex than with Clover so there is an incentive to install every kext you think you will need at the outset.

However you do it the problem with Ryzentosh is what does not run. Don't naively assume your image or video editing program of choice, peripheral drivers etc will run.

Adobe needs to be patched. You'll see.

PS patched seems to run fine for the way I use the thing (lots of layers, just about everything in the program). Never touch Lightroom. Whatever video editing I do is in Windows so have not tried any programs.
Other image editing programs I use: Luminar, will not even boot but the Flex plug-in runs. I was surprised that On1, wonky under the best of circumstances, runs and benefits from multiple cores (3700x in my case) as it does in Windows.
Drivers for monitor calibration devices may not even install (e.g xRite i1) but DisplayCal may work even if the native driver will not. Does for me and the calibration matches closely enough what the xRite driver yields on the Windows side.
The Catalina Printer and Scanner drivers work with my stuff.

There are more gotchas so if wanting to use a Ryzentosh for intensive productivity check out compatibility before you buy hardware. I don't need anything more than an AMD 580 GPU--runs two monitors fine on DP--but users of Navi and Vega report problems

The price difference with Intel 10th gen at this point is not as overwhelming as it was for ninth gen and everything runs on Intel, including commodity RAM at its rated speed. Tip: if new to Ryzen pay attention to the motherboard list of approved RAM. RAM is the bete noir of Ryzen but slightly under-clocked RAM does not yield much if any throughput penalty with latest gen Ryzen.

I built a Ryzentosh to wean myself off my dual booting habit--going back to SnowLeopard/TonyMac--as Apple goes all iPad all the time.
So far its working.
Mostly.

However you do it the problem with Ryzentosh is what does not run. Don't naively assume your image or video editing program of choice, peripheral drivers etc will run.

Adobe needs to be patched. You'll see.

PS patched seems to run fine for the way I use the thing (lots of layers, just about everything in the program). Never touch Lightroom. Whatever video editing I do is in Windows so have not tried any programs.
Other image editing programs I use: Luminar, will not even boot but the Flex plug-in runs. I was surprised that On1, wonky under the best of circumstances, runs and benefits from multiple cores (3700x in my case) as it does in Windows.
Drivers for monitor calibration devices may not even install (e.g xRite i1) but DisplayCal may work even if the native driver will not. Does for me and the calibration matches closely enough what the xRite driver yields on the Windows side.

The Adobe patches work fine. Latest beta versions of Adobe work without patching.
DaVinci Resolve also has a patch available for AMD.
No problems running Luminar, 3, 4 or Flex. No problem with Skylum's HDR program either.

I use Dell monitors and their own monitor calibration program works fine for me.

I have built a ryzentosh, but steinberg product quit after launch, neither nuendo or wavelab can be use

Can I ask if your GPU fans come on every 5 minutes or so and spin for about a minute, I am having that problem and beats me why. Never did on my Intel hack.

Thanks for posting! :)

I have a question:

I am in a similar postion you were :D I have an old 4790K built (dual boot win10 and High Sierra for ProTools and Resolve) and have started shooting 4k footage and getting Davinci Resolve to gasp for more perfomance...

As I'm looking to change Mainbard, CPU and Ram only (GTX1080 remains, SSDs are all fairly new)
I am wondering if I can just swap the components, and install the necessary Clover Version and components once booted in Mac OS (with the help of a usb stick that is).

Any objections to my plan? should I do a clean reinstall or simply scrap OSX altogether and use Win10 for all my needs?

Hi,
I follwed this guide for my Ryzenthosh project.

Ran into an issue while loading the installer

Attempting system restart ..... MACH REBOOT

and this message freezes there.

Anybody had this similar issue?

Specs

Ryzen 3900x
Nvidia rtx 2070 super
128gb ddr4 ram
2x 500 gb nvme
8tb hdd

Please help...

Looks like nvidia issue..If someone can give me an updated efi folder that will be great.

Thanks

macOS does not support your Nvidia graphics card. Ideally you need an AMD one or an old supported Nvidia card.
Thanks for the quick reply..
macOS does not support your Nvidia graphics card. Ideally you need an AMD one or an old supported Nvidia card.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Ive seen some threads saying people were able to use nvidia cards.

Maybe some tweaks in the efi files...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back