RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi

due to mojave, i switched from an 980Ti to an RX980 from Gigabyte.

Triple 4K display @ 60hz working out of the box with last whatevergreen.

I'd like to tune mr RX580 a little bit cause it's more noisy than my previous 980ti.

In iStats i've got out of the box, temperature, cores speed, but not the fan speed.

I found that from ioreg :

ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

i can read the fan speed.

Does anyone if its possible to have in istats. It seems like it's missing from gpusensors.kext. I'm using the last ones. Neither in HWmonitor, i can't read the fan speed.

Does any one have an RX580 and fan speed display ?

Another question, does anyone manage to control the fan speed curve from OSX ? with kext injection (like vega) ?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi

I'd like to tune mr RX580 a little bit cause it's more noisy than my previous 980ti.

In iStats i've got out of the box, temperature, cores speed, but not the fan speed.

ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

Does anyone if its possible to have in istats. It seems like it's missing from gpusensors.kext. I'm using the last ones. Neither in HWmonitor, i can't read the fan speed.

Another question, does anyone manage to control the fan speed curve from OSX ? with kext injection (like vega) ?

I would avoid messing with fans in macOS. Usually triple fan GPUs run much less noisier than dual or single fans ones.

Likewise, and most of the time it's zero - terminal screenshot for Sapphire Pulse RX580. Spins briefly during Geekbench 'Compute'.

Would prefer to have fans spinning, at least slowly. Have you found a way to reset/control the fan speed?

Attachments

• RX580_FanSpeed_TerminalOutput.zip
    873 bytes · Views: 1,346
Last edited:
Hi

I would not try controlling the fan speed.
To monitor the AMD GPU fan speed (or NVIDIA), you can use the HWSensorsSMC2 App in the HWSensors3 package.
There's no need to install any of the kexts in that package - just copy the HWSensorsSMC2 App to Applications.
Run it, and click on the gear icon (preferences) at the bottom left and tick "Use IOAccelerator's monitoring for GPUs" and restart the App.

I see this:
Screenshot 2018-12-10 at 16.58.30.png

Try it.

This app basically does the same as your command line to gather the stats.
If you really want all the stats (CPU, FANS, etc) to work, then you have to replace your FakeSMC.kext with the one from that package and install the appropriate sensors kexts (see the Readme in the package).

Expanding on your terminal command above, this will give you the clock speeds too:

ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'

I run it like this so it continually updates:

while sleep 2; do ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'; done

type ctrl-c to stop.

Expanding on your terminal command above, this will give you the clock speeds too:

ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'

I run it like this so it continually updates:

while sleep 2; do ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'; done

type ctrl-c to stop.

You don't need to do this terminal, HWSensorsSMC2 App will do that in a GUI and add Clock speed, fan speed, etc to the Menu Bar.

Thanks. Should have checked it again.

Want to display GPU fan speed/'temp in HWSensorsSMC2. Is there an "Idiots' Guide" for this?

Again, Link works for me fine.

Idiots guide: Copy the HWSensorsSMC2.app to /Applications and run it.
Works for me see screenshot in post #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back