Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370
CPU
Intel 8700k
Graphics
Gigabyte Aorus RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi all,

Being totally new in the world of hackintosh, I decided to follow the guide and online videos to the letter. I've installed MacOS via UniBeast and used MultiBeast for a few additional installations.
However, it seems that H264 export in FCPX is not working (export failed). Prores exports fine.

Specs:
- Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5.
- 8700k cpu
- Gigabyte Aorus RX580
- 32 Ram
- 512 SSD APFS formatted

In MultiBeast I've selected the following:
- FakeSMC
- IntelMausiEthernet 2.3.0
- Increase Max Port Limits 200 series
- Clover UEFI Boot Mode
- iMac 18.3 configuration

Still, export to H264 fails. Any ideas of what might be causing this?
Also, what would be a indication of 'good performance' with the BruceX test? I'm getting about a 20sec result exporting to prores.

Last edited:
I had to enable the integrated GPU and quicksync in order to get h.264 export in FCPX. Not sure if it was because of the iMac 18,3 SMBIOS or because of my motherboard but I also had to add an extra setting in clover in order for quicksync to kick in. Here is what may help you.

Make sure you have these settings in your motherboard Bios:
BIOS -> Primary Graphics: PCIE Slot (this will make your RX 580 the main card so have your monitor plugged into your RX 580)
BIOS -> Integrated Graphics: Enabled
BIOS -> CSM: Disabled
(this might not be necessary but helps me with my dual screens during boot)

In Clover Configurator, open your config file and add these settings:
Clover -> Graphics -> ig-platform-id = 59120003
Clover -> Graphics -> Inject ATI = YES
(this might not be necessary anymore on MacOS 10.13.4, I don't have this enabled on my system as it made no difference for me but might help yours)

Save and reboot your system. For me this setup wasn't enough because the system would take about 5 minutes to boot and even though the integrated gpu was enabled it wouldn't actually kick in. H.264 export in FCPX would still fail. Test on your system and see if it works for you.

If h.264 export still doesn't work then add this final step which is what finally got my system working with the igpu and Quicksync:
Clover -> Boot -> Arguments click on "-disablegfxfirmware"

-disablegfxfirmware
Whats that argument for ? An Clover internal argument or for any of the Lilu plugins argument?

I had to enable the integrated GPU and quicksync in order to get h.264 export in FCPX. Not sure if it was because of the iMac 18,3 SMBIOS or because of my motherboard but I also had to add an extra setting in clover in order for quicksync to kick in. Here is what may help you.

Make sure you have these settings in your motherboard Bios:
BIOS -> Primary Graphics: PCIE Slot (this will make your RX 580 the main card so have your monitor plugged into your RX 580)
BIOS -> Integrated Graphics: Enabled
BIOS -> CSM: Disabled
(this might not be necessary but helps me with my dual screens during boot)

In Clover Configurator, open your config file and add these settings:
Clover -> Graphics -> ig-platform-id = 59120003
Clover -> Graphics -> Inject ATI = YES
(this might not be necessary anymore on MacOS 10.13.4, I don't have this enabled on my system as it made no difference for me but might help yours)

Save and reboot your system. For me this setup wasn't enough because the system would take about 5 minutes to boot and even though the integrated gpu was enabled it wouldn't actually kick in. H.264 export in FCPX would still fail. Test on your system and see if it works for you.

If h.264 export still doesn't work then add this final step which is what finally got my system working with the igpu and Quicksync:
Clover -> Boot -> Arguments click on "-disablegfxfirmware"

Hi, I would like to try your options, but I can't seem to find the 59120003 option in clover config. The only option I have that comes close is the 59120000...

I'm having new problems now:
- My triple monitor setup doesn't work anymore (just the middle one works).
- The H264 exports now, but the result is a very very glitchy video.

:(

Hi, I would like to try your options, but I can't seem to find the 59120003 option in clover config. The only option I have that comes close is the 59120000...

I'm having new problems now:
- My triple monitor setup doesn't work anymore (just the middle one works).
- The H264 exports now, but the result is a very very glitchy video.

:(

You have to type it in manually in the ig-platform-id box the Graphics section of Clover. Without that the igpu is not correctly recognized. This is definitely the most important (and necessary) step.

I have a dual monitor setup with displayport cables and the only way I could get the second monitor to work was by having the latest Whatevergreen kext in my EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder. Not sure if that would help with 3 monitors.

-disablegfxfirmware
Whats that argument for ? An Clover internal argument or for any of the Lilu plugins argument?

Its a Clover boot argument. May not be necessary for many systems but it was the only thing that got quicksync finally working on mine (in addition to the other steps).

This was very helpful to me as well, thank you. My only question is that FCPX does not seem to be using the GPU for anything.....when I render or share a video the CPU goes to 100% but the GPU fans never move and GPU load is near 0. Previous to this thread I could not export anything so what I have now at least works......just slow and was hoping to utilize the GPU more. Very close to the same config but with a Sapphire RX580. Any thoughts?

I believe that is how its supposed to be when you enable Quicksync with the intel iGPU. The system uses that when you hit export. It should use the RX580 for the editing part. Please double check that and if that is the case then it is normal. Also, make sure your monitor cables are connected to the RX580.

I also wish it could only use the RX580 for everything, but export to h.264 didn't work for me at all until I enabled the iGPU and Quicksync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back