Contribute
Register

RX580 1 fan running full tilt intermittently ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark II
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a Mojave build 10.14.2 that's been running flawlessly for a few months now except for the shutdown restart issue. I just kill the power after a shutdown before it restarts. This morning I get up and start up and after a few mins I hear a fan running full tilt for about 10 seconds and then shut off. Of course I'm thinking that's not good as I've never heard any fan noise like that in this machine. So I do some reading and I find and install HWmonitorSMC package so I can see what's going on. Prior to that I took the top off the HAF cube case to see what fan it was and its on the RX580 but only 1 fan, the one closest to the front cycling on and off. So I launched the monitor and was watching the GPU temp. When the GPU reaches 48-50c that fan runs full tilt ( there's no way you don't hear it as its LOUD ). As soon as the GPU temp is back to 40-43c the fan shuts off. This cool down takes about 5 to 10 seconds. Then rinse / repeat ...

This is a new problem and ive never heard a peep out of the GPUs fans. I have read that you should never mess with the GPU fan settings in OSX.
I will post a screen shot of when the fan is running and one when it shuts off.

Im a Hackintosh idiot so im not sure where to look for this problem. Im pretty sure that 50c is not hot for the RX580 and I doubt seriously that that fan should be running full tilt like this. This doesn't appear to be a hardware problem but I could be wrong.

Any help as to where I should be looking for this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 7.30.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 7.31.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 7.54.04 AM.png

Last edited:
I have another Samsung 500 gig drive that I use as a backup for my boot disk just in case. It has not been cloned for over a month so I put the backup Mojave SSD in told clover to boot from the backup disk. I wanted to see if the problem was still there. And YES it's doing it on the backup drive OS so maybe this is a hardware issue. I just sat at the login screen and the fans never came on. I logged in and sat at the desktop doing nothing and the fan didn't come on but as soon as I launched the hardware monitor, the fan immediately went to full speed. I had a power outage while I was up and running but that was about 2 weeks ago and this GPU fan thing just started this morning. Is there something in BIOS I should be looking at ? It seems that there is no in between fan speed. Its either off or full tilt. I rebooted and now I see the fan speed. I will attach a screenshot of the fan speed and temp when it goes wide open. It came on at 52c as you can see and shut off at 45c.
Any ideas ?

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.26.18 AM.png

Well, after more reading, I'm wondering if the fans were supposed to be running at 50c and never were until this morning.
I just don't know enough about how this GPU should be working on a Hackintosh .

Guess im going to take the card out and disassemble it and replace the thermal compound on the GPU die and the thermal pads on the mem. it sure won't hurt anything. I can't think of anything else that would cause that fan to go full tilt and sound like a jet engine. also the rpm reporting from HWMonitor is hit and miss. sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I also think its reporting the wrong rpm when it does report. the fan sounds like a jet engine and it reports a little over 700rpm. No way that's right.

still looking for input

Guess im on my own

Update : I called AMD to see if I could get the VRM thermal pad thickness and they had no idea.
I then ordered .5mm, 1.0mm and 1.5mm thermal pads and a new tube of arctic silver 5 from amazon.
I then pulled the card to blow it out and look to see if I could see anything wrong. I saw very little dust but I went ahead and blew out around the heatsink fins as best I could. Im not going to pull the card apart until I have the pads in front of me. I then reassembled the machine and fired it up. Logged in and the fan did not take off like a jet engine for about 10 mins. As I'm typing this, both fans were running at a medium pace like they should and no jet sound until about 30 seconds ago when that one fan went full tilt and the other fan shut down. The jet engine ran until it went back to 45c and then shut off. This may be a hardware failure or a thermal issue. I'll report back after I tear the card apart and replace the thermal compound and VRM thermal pads. The VRM pads would have nothing to do with the run away fan but I want to have new ones in case they get destroyed during disassembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back