i5-8600
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I'm totally confused...

I've read that the AMD RX570 is the best price / performance UHD @60hz card supposed out of the box by Mojave

Doing a search on eBay and I can see Gigabyte, ASUS, XFX and others...

Are they the same card?

I'd hate to buy one only to find it's not supported

Any advice would be really appreciated.

The actual RX570 design is an AMD design. The third party card manufactures such as MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, XFX and Sapphire manufacture cards as board partners to AMD as AMD themselves do not produce RX570 cards for the consumer of pro markets.

In essence they are broadly the same and will all work in Windows just fine. in macOS it is best to be more cautious and go with cards known to have macOS support. Some cards have BIOS issues in macOS - which can be fixed by flashing another cards BIOS onto an existing model - this can brick a card completely if the process doesn't run smoothly!

Best solution. Use a card in the Buyers guide or a model that numerous users on the forum confirm works with the latest macOS version.

Good advice, thanks

I'm thinking of purchasing the Sapphire RX 580 4GB to run my 4K monitor @60hz

Can't for the life of me find any information about the card's max resolution / hz and Mojave support

I'm really after a budget Mojave supported GPU that can do 4k @60hz

Any brand of RX 560 (except XFX- The BIOS issue mentioned earlier) will give you 4K resolution at 60Hz when using a DisplayPort 1.4 cable between the GPU and the monitor. Some 4K monitors have required 60Hz option to be switched on in the monitor menu.

Going for an RX570 or RX580 will work too and give you a more powerful GPU for instances when you may want additional GPU power.

Mate, you've been so helpful
I have one more question and I'll leave you in peace
Do you know of a mini itx motherboard with onboard GPU that's Mojave compatible?

Do you know of a mini itx motherboard with onboard GPU that's Mojave compatible?
There are no motherboards that have an onboard GPU anymore. Any CPU with HD or UHD630 graphics is compatible with Mojave.

So I'm thinking about the below parts list for my hackintosh build

The Intel Core i5 has UHD630 so I believe it's supposed out of the box my Mojave
  • Asus ROG-STRIX-Z390-I-GAMING mini-ITX Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-8600
  • Noctua NH-L9i CPU cooler
  • INWIN CHOPIN MINI ITX
Your comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It should all work - i do have some concern about running a 6 core Intel processor on such a small Noctua cooler, but the processor is rated at 65W TDP, so as long as you don't try run the processor at anything approaching 100% usage, then temperatures should remain well within processor operating spec.

There is a guide on this board with an additional GPU which should be interesting reference material. Note that the supplied Intel Wifi and BT isn't compatible, not clear if this is replaceable, so do check as you do not want two WIFI cards installed on a board that run any OS.

It should all work - i do have some concern about running a 6 core Intel processor on such a small Noctua cooler, but the processor is rated at 65W TDP, so as long as you don't try run the processor at anything approaching 100% usage, then temperatures should remain well within processor operating spec.

There is a guide on this board with an additional GPU which should be interesting reference material. Note that the supplied Intel Wifi and BT isn't compatible, not clear if this is replaceable, so do check as you do not want two WIFI cards installed on a board that run any OS.

Oh ok...

I just chose the ASUS motherboard listed under the buying section for "CustoMac Mini Deluxe"

Should I go for the Gigabit motherboard instead ?

Regards cooling, I'm not planning on using this hackintosh for anything other than support tasks, email and web browsing, no gaming at all

Oh ok...

I just chose the ASUS motherboard listed under the buying section for "CustoMac Mini Deluxe"

Should I go for the Gigabit motherboard instead ?

Regards cooling, I'm not planning on using this hackintosh for anything other than support tasks, email and web browsing, no gaming at all

Whether you get a Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock or MSI Z390 board, they all come with Intel Wifi and BT that isn't used by Apple and we are not able to get this running on macOS with community written drivers - there is a project runningto attempt to solve this that has been running for some time - as yet, no dice.

So for wifi/BT you either need to swap out the existing module, but as some boards have this soldered you will need to use an additional M2 slot or a PCIe slot and add an additional compatible WIFI or WIFI/BT card - depending on your preferences.

I would advise taking time (Use Search feature and motherboard model to find other users experience and advice on different boards. That will help you come to the best conclusion for your own 'best' board for your situation.

The Noctua cooler will be fine for your stated use case. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back