Contribute
Register

RX550 and high sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
prime z270-p
ok so.. I've had a few weeks of hell trying to get my hack working.. any help is seriously appreciated big time

Finally I've managed to get high Sierra working on my Asus prime z270-p i7-3.2hgz but my sapphire radeon rx550 doesn't seem to be working properly. I'm in, but with dodgy low res gfx

has anyone had any success with this card? I got it because it's cheaper and I only use this machine for music production, so I don't need high end performance 3d wise.

read it was meant to be native to high Sierra but don't think it is.

if not can anyone recommend the best cheap gpu

thanks in advance

ok so.. I've had a few weeks of hell trying to get my hack working.. any help is seriously appreciated big time

Finally I've managed to get high Sierra working on my Asus prime z270-p i7-3.2hgz but my sapphire radeon rx550 doesn't seem to be working properly. I'm in, but with dodgy low res gfx

has anyone had any success with this card? I got it because it's cheaper and I only use this machine for music production, so I don't need high end performance 3d wise.

read it was meant to be native to high Sierra but don't think it is.

if not can anyone recommend the best cheap gpu

thanks in advance

Hi there,

From what I can gather the jury is still out on the RX550. I know the RX560 works well and logic dictates that because the 555 & 560 were the new GPU's Apple introduced for their iMacs this year, it should be an easy proposition. However it seems the RX550 is a Polaris 12 die and the RX560 a Polaris 11. Quite exactly what the 555 is, no-one seems to have posted yet.

Technical answer is to discover the RX550's hardware ID and then check if it is in the AMD kext plists or not.

To get the 560 working needed two extra kexts for me: Lilu.kext (latest version) and WhateverGreen kext (Latest version also). Put them in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory if you haven't already done so.

If that doesn't work then more research concerning that hardware ID is needed. Perhaps manually adding it to a plist.

Maybe someone who has done this work before can help us out?

As for a good alternative and cheap GPU, why not stick with the i7's built-in HD630? None of the recent discrete ones seem to be native to Apple any more. Older Radeon and Nvidia cards were but buying one now is not easy unless you find a good one on Ebay etc. Of the latest bunch the Nvidia 1050 (basic) is known to work well with the Nvidia web-drivers, but there are occasional driver problems (with all Nvidia cards that need them) only slowly getting fixed. An older GT640 or Radeon 5770, that works without extra drivers, is a rare find in good condition.

Good luck!

:)

thanks so much for that. since posting I found an old geforce card (like at least 10 years old) which works perfectly!! although I need 3 monitors and I can only run one off this one it seems. Might try the onboard gpu as well. would be nice to have another Nvidia card (or would feel safer) as I'm having some success with this old one. at least I've got firewire and all my software running ok. Hackintosh was the only option for me as the new Mac pros don't support UAD -cards and I run a recording studio .

thanks again

thanks so much for that. since posting I found an old geforce card (like at least 10 years old) which works perfectly!! although I need 3 monitors and I can only run one off this one it seems. Might try the onboard gpu as well. would be nice to have another Nvidia card (or would feel safer) as I'm having some success with this old one. at least I've got firewire and all my software running ok. Hackintosh was the only option for me as the new Mac pros don't support UAD -cards and I run a recording studio .

thanks again

Hi,
Can you post the specs of your hackintosh and how you managed to have 3 monitors connected? I'm currently watching for graphics card also and im also using the hackintosh to do music production. Not sure if the integrated Graphics would work on logic or will it be enough?

Thanks!
Any graphics card recommendation will be appreciated!

@jaminwang2386, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

TimG2017 was last seen: Oct 28, 2017

@jaminwang2386, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).

TimG2017 was last seen: Oct 28, 2017

Updated!

Components

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back